Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A question regarding cylinder head nut tool..(dealership guys?)

Just got a price for P/N 499987006, the socket wrench for the cylinder head nuts on ohv engines, $60 NZ (US$45) and its ex-japan, so will take over a month to get here. I can't really wait that long. Can anyone get these cheaper and faster, or does anyone know of an alternative?

Cheers.

Problem is, you cant just go welding high alloy steel like that and not expect martensite (VERY brittle) to form, so you would need to do a post weld heat treatment. If you have access to a furnace though.... id buy one from you.

From the look of the sketch of the tool in the fsm, it looks as though you'd need to remove more material than there is on a standard socket. Its only a sketch though, so it'd be worth looking in to.

Oh yeah, a furnace would be nice...

From the look of the sketch of the tool in the fsm, it looks as though you'd need to remove more material than there is on a standard socket. Its only a sketch though, so it'd be worth looking in to.

Here's a guy that did it and said it worked well. He also gives detailed instructions on how to make it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2575&highlight=head+craftsman

For bedtime reading last night, I had a Chilton's manual that my wife bought me for US$0.75. It said to just put spacers under the rocker arm tower studs and use a regular socket on the head bolt. Now, I haven't looked at a real EA81 head for almost 10 years, but this sounded odd to me.

But what can you expect from a 75 cent manual. :grin: