Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broke my first strut (repair question within)

singletrack

Yee-haw! Another subie-offroad milestone for me. Note to self, running the Tabegauche with 5 people in the car is a bad idea.

It's not that exciting really, the 20 year old dry rotted rubber thingy at the top just gave out. I drove it out and a back home a few miles in x-treme camber mode. :D Some guy in a big 4Runner asked me if I'd been jumping it when I pulled up at a light...

It's just as well, prefect excuse to pull the adjustables of the parts car, but the rubber on those is already cracked pretty good, so they'd likely fail in short order.

So... Can I get just the top cap/rubber thingy? I think the rest of the adjustable struts are fine, they've only got 180k on um. :rolleyes:

Also, is that what you long time offroaders would call a typical failure for a 17 year old strut? I know it just happened to RavenTBK, I recall seeing pics of a few others.

yeah, you can get new strut mounts. the last time I bought ea81 mounts, they were like $60 each, so I'd guess close to that for ea82 ones....

Yikes. I guess the dry-rotted ones will do for now. I'll hafta poke around the junk yards, maybe make some Frankenstruts.