Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat Cushion Advice Needed

About seat cushions: Any long haul drivers out there have any suggestions for a really good seat cushion? I used to think they're uncool and only for old guys. Now I'm an old guy with a crappy back, potential hemorroids, general long-haul discomfort. Anybody have any good cushions to recommend?

My truck had very poor seats in it. I used to dread taking it on trips. I eventually put some better seats in it, but in the interim, for long drives I used to sit on a Thermarest seat pad. That helped a lot.

Are you familiar with the Thermarest matressess that campers and hikers use? Well, this is the same thing, only smaller. I don't know what the dimensions are off the top of my head, but it works perfect for a seat cushion, being as that's what it is ! ! !

Hope that helps.

A föm pillow (the polystyrene filled squishy ones) at Brookstone (or cheaper at BJ's) is pretty decent. But in your case it's very easy to swap the seat out for a GL-10 seat (or the whole interior if you want them to match), or an XT/XT6 front seat set.

(Personally, though, this might not help as I've always thought Loyale seats were pretty comfy. Also Loyale, XT and GL-10 seats, while padded differently, are shaped similarly.)

Having had my butt cheek cut into twice to insert and remove a rod in my femur, stiches on the back of my right thigh, occasional hemmoroids, and a broken cossix that I never had looked at, I am a still a little sensitive in that area myself. :slobber:

I found some seats from a GL-10 that were in really good shape and put those in. The adjustable height and lumbar knob are great. You likely know this, but you can guess by how worn the fabric on the seat is, how much spring and cushion it has left in it. I think somebody skinny used the seats I put in, or it wound up in the junkyard at an early age. They are in really good shape for being 15 years old. A seat cushion type device I used when I did a lot of driving for work was one of those wooden beaded seat covers. They don't look all that comfortable, but they worked pretty well for me. The beads are pretty tightly linked, and I think they distrubute the weight over the cushion a little bit more. The beaded cover also gets good air circulation in warm weather.

- James B