Ultimate Subaru Message Board

backing firing problem /84 ea81 brat

that's possible. if you put the wrong length of wire going to the wrong plug. In my brat I put:

3) Shorter.. 4) Longest

1) Shortest. 2) Longer <--- Motor

.........3 - 4 <--- Disty

I hope my "Ascii" skillz come out good :drunk: And I hope it's understandable!

Timing alone (if just a few degrees off) shouldn't really give you backfire. Having a couple of spark plug wires switched can/will. When does it backfire? Did the idle speed/quality change after your work? Did you change anything in the ignition secondary other than just regapping the plugs?

As far as vacuum lines and timing, I haven't had to deal with this for awhile, and I don't have an 84 EA81 to check. Typically, the distributor has one or 2 vaccum hoses going to it. If one, that is the vac-advance; if two, then one is advance and one is retard. Disconnect both, plug both just to be sure, and set your timing. Or you could always RT*M... assuming you have a manual. :grin:

Seriously, though, the backfire is probably not related to a slightly misset ignition timing. More situational info would help.

Don't make me come there just to test drive your Brat! (hhhmmm....)

it will back fire after it warms up and winding up the gears ,like between 2-3 gear , but just a week before it ran fine , i took 1 plug wire off at a time to regap the plugs , tomorrow i will recheck and close off vac lines when setting timing , :-\

• 3 weeks later...