Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Engine Differences Between '90 and '95?

Greetings Subaru Gurus,

I need to replace the engine in my '90 Legacy and have found a wrecked low mileage '95 that is a potential donor. Both have EJ22 engines but I believe there was a change between '94 and '95. Could anyone fill me in on the issues faced (if any) when making this transplant?

Thanks much.

Tom

I don't think there were any mechanical changes until 97, when they put in higher compression coated pistons and solid lifters, and the ECU went to OBDII in 96. I'm curious if the P/S pump is the same from 93 to 95.

I'm sort of not right.

A 1995 engine is rated at 135 hp vs. 130 for previous years. Don't know if it involves any mechanical differences. Among those components that are visible, there was a change in air filter box. Single-port heads arrived in 1996.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunatly, some of the answers conflict. Has anyone ever compiled a history of the ej engine series? I'm sure the info is out there but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, Use the meaasge function to contact me. I have a history of the EJ boxer engine. It's a 4m .pdf file, so a hotmail account will not be able to receive it.

If one of the moderators wants to contact me, I will send it to them to keep on the USMB site. It's very good.

• 4 months later...

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/Technicians_Reference_Booklets/

I've zipped the PDF's because Adobe opens them within the browser and causes quite a bit of server load and continual bandwidth usage. Putting them in a zip file forces a d/l of the file.

Irregardless.....my server is down right now....I should be able to reboot it when I get home this evening.

Subaru went to OBDII with the '95 EJ22s.

Unless you own a 5spd.... I'll elaborate.

Theres an obdII connector in the 5spd. What difference exist between the 5spd and auto ecu's, I do not know.

Some obdII readers can read the trouble codes on the 5spd, but freeze frame reads of sensor data is broken. I can connect freediag (obdII computer software) to my '95 legacy auto, but not to my 95 legacy 5spd.

My auto has an egr valve and backpressure transducer, but the 5spd does not. Where the egr valve would be is a plug. Ignition timing also is different between the two engines (beyond learned ecu behavior).

If you're going to transplant the engine, i'd put an auto trans engine in an auto and vice versa. I'm guessing you'll want to switch over the ecu too.