Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tank slosh?

Hello all,

I've got my sons '86 hatch up and running finally (for those of you that have been following the saga....with a carb) and the thing is running pretty well, but I have a problem with rust in the tank. I've drained it a couple of times, sloshed rocks (pea gravel) around to clean the inside, and rinsed it (yes, this does work nicely most of the time...), but after a day or so of gas sloshing around in it, the filter will plug up again. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean this thing up? I have a friend that told me once about a product you can dump into a tank to "seal in the rust", but I can't remember the name of the stuff. Basically you drain the tank, let it dry, dump this stuff in, slosh it around for a while and then let that stuff dry. I coats the inside of the tank with a sealer and then you're good to go. Anyone ever use this stuff? Or do they make a replacement tank for these cars? Metal is okay, hdpe plastic would be fantastic.

NV

id try the ole rock slosh trick again...

i work in the motorcycle industry... when old tanks get rusty on the inside the best thing is to bead blast it till all of the rust is gone, then have a radiator company "seal" it.

you might call a radiator repair company. their acid bath that they use for the radiators might work on gas tanks. but i know they will seal clean ones.

that product you mentioned exists for motorcycles. i have tried a few different kinds, and none worked well. i would not recommend trying it. you end up with rust chunks floating, that are now coated in paint type stuff.

on my brat with a bad tank, id just carry spare rear fuel filters =/

If all else fails and you don't wanna replace the tank, you might try modifying the pickup inside the tank to not pull the fuel off the bottom. You'd have less usable capacity but the fuel would not be comming off the bottom of the tank.

I have a little Honda 70 with the same problem, I run it on reserve to keep the crud out of the fuel system and keep the tank topped off to eliminate any moisture when it's just sitting.

Having said all that, Seems like a JY tank may be easiest?

Good Luck.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester