Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blew cloud of smoke

Well today I really romped on the old sube (192.000 miles) going up a hill started losing power looked in my rearview and seen the biggest cloud of smoke i ever did see. Got to top of hill smoke stopped power picked back up. Opened air cleaner when i got to work was soaked with oil. (Was over filled some) didn't do it again but now i guess its time to put in engine with 96.000 miles. No more beating this one since i have to drive 25 miles one way to work everyday and don't have time to change engine untill two saterdays from now.icon9.gif

my 85' carbed wagon used to do it once in awhile.. every now and then at 4 if i was on it hard it'd blow clouds of smoke, so bad you couldn't see behind the car.. then the next romp it wouldn't do it..

i changed the ocv valve with a purolator from Advance and it doesn't do it anymore at all.. not even runnin 11 passes at the drag strip at WoT..

change your pcv, its easier than an engine...

OEM PCV valve = $10+, FRAM PCV valve at Schucks = $2.99, Don't recall the brand at Autozone = $2.99, all have the same stamps and look identical. I'm not from Missouri, but you're still gonna have to "show me" how the OEM is worth over 3X more. It's just a spring loaded plunger.

IF you were beefin' about a part that needed replacement more frequently

or the decimal place was shifted one place to the right

then

You might have a point.

Do a search if you will for PVC problems

read what many owners have said

then

make an intelligent decision

and

by some miracle in a can with your saving

I'm not sure what your point is Skip, but mine is that I think they are exactly the same part from exactly the same manufacturer, since the stamps on them are identical and everything. At least the 3 that I bought for comparison. Very few manufacturers, even OEM, actually make their own parts. They contract out, especially for something as simple as a PCV valve. It's 4 pieces: a case, spring, plug and orifice. It's not cost effective for a manufacturer, like Subaru, to make them. So, they contract them, probably from the same manufacturer as many others. As indicated by my test sample PCV valves. That holds true for a great many "OEM" parts. They buy them from a common contractor and stamp their brand on them. OEM does not mean made by them, it means the part meets the Original Equipment Manufacturers specifications, nothing more. In my opinion, OEM more often means Overpriced Exorbinantly, Man!! LOL

Sorry, that's just my opinion and we'll probably just have to agree to disagree.

Stock oem pcv valves will allow the correct amount of air pressure to blow by without oil passing as well. Buying one at Schucks, where I work now, or any part for that matter should only be done for a temp fix until the part you ordered from www.thepartsbin.com or the dealer comes in. The problem with fram is that the spring will be gauged for many vehicles, not a your subaru! Talk to any GM mechanic and you'll get a really really long speech on the matter.

Thanks for all the feed back! Going to work today same hill same RPMs 5.500 in third and no smoke. PCV replacement will be temp fix untill i get 96.000 mile engine in. So 3$ is better then 10$. I allso think it was because of an over fill of oil by 1/4 quart though i usally over fill a little because it helps keep TOD away and it leaks enough that my undecarrige will never rust(about 1 quart every two weeks is normal except when a really ride her hard) Had the roo going 90 at 45oo RPMS once but i thougt the front end was going to shake apart so i backed down. So for a 19 year old car with 192.000 miles( Still get 25 mpg) i cant complain she has been they best car i have ever owned and i hope to have her for a long time. icon7.gificon14.gif

My '91 does the same thing, though sounds like mine is a bit worse already. I tried the PCV change, just in case, but it didn't change much if any. Pretty sure mine is just worn valve guides. Time to do a head swap, or complete engine as soon as I find a rebuildable spare. Good luck.

hey the stock pcv valve on the car can be cleaned up as well with carb cleaner, so it rattles nicely.

when replacing or cleaning the pcv valve, dont forget to factor in the hoses and alltheir routings too. they will clog up and harden much like a coronary artery so to speak. clean the hoses out or replace them

if it comes to replacing the hoses snandard 5/8" heater hose will fit just right, you may need regular hose clamps gor the valve covers. run with enough length tsop you dont kink in the bends.

chances are your "blowby past the rings" is really pcv related instead, if its internal its more likely valve seals