Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX broke down-strange things, suggestions?

So car is running good(especially since the addition of a k&n drop in filter), and I'm driving down scenic chuckanut drive, then whap, whap, whap---car won't drive. Timing belts right?

Wait 2+ hrs for a tow truck, get it over to my brothers house, start pulling things apart. Got one side of timing belt covers off(maybee its time to go coverless) and belt seemed slightly loose but not broken, didn't get the other side off but, felt through the tentioner holes, and it felt fine?

Then the kicker....one spark plug was blown straight out of the hole, what the hell does that mean? Pulg looked absolutely fine.

So what should do/check for next tommorrow, when I'm in there.

..And when my legacy is broken down too.

Thanks

chack for any stripped teeth off the timing belt. if there is a definate seam between the teeth and the belt itself time to replace it

thread the plug back in to make sure the threads are ok. you can put grease on the olug threads so if the thread is bad, the shavings will stick to the grease insted of falling in

chances are the plug was not tight enough, so if the thread is good re-install it and re-torque it, make sure the belts arent broke and see if that fixes it

If you were using ngks check to see if the smash gasket is smashed like it should be. I have heard of the same thing when a guy did his plug on a yoda 22re, got them tight but didn't tork through the gasket, sort just wobbled out.

Next time you are goofing off in Bellingham give me a call and come check out the brat and wagon tizzle

helicoil it or just cram it in however, as a last resort before replacing the head. if it threads in or evern cross threads, it will still do so long as you dont have to take it out anytime soon......

i say this as a last ditch try if you determine you may have to replace the head, or take it off for that matter. if you funck up the threads a helicoil will fix it anyway. take out one of the other plugs and try it to ssee if it threads so you dont buy a new plug for nothing

if you have to rethread the plug socket, you could cram a bit of shop towel inside of the combustion chamber, and then drop a small but strong magnet in there to catch shavings, and rethread/helicoil the socket. then use another magnet to pull out the first with the shavings, and then tweezers out the shop towel. I'd blow it out with some compressed/canned air after that.

Schucks sells a helicoil kit that works fairly well. Just too be sure, I put a few drops of JB weld on the coil when I put it in on mine. The aluminum shavings won't be attracted to a magnet, but you can vacuum them out if you have a compressor. Make a vacuum tube out of a blowgun and a "Y" pipe. Some tool companies and parts stores sell them already made and they work great.

magnets on Aluminum :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

send me one.......... i need it.

sorry to hear about your problem with the spark plug,

if you re thread it you can use a straw on a vacume to sweep out the cylinder but you have to be very therow or you will leave some aluminum behind which wont be good.

good luck...

It lives! Thanks for the help guys. Heli-coiled it. Worked out great. Discovered my other spark plugs were slightly-fairly loose as well. Oops:drunk:. Torqued them down properly. Car has balls now. Oil cooler going on in a few days when I get it.

--Todd