Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all, It's been a while since I visited ... but i sre need your help.

My L series soob is in the garage here where it failed to start last night. It has always been reliable, I have had no history of problems starting like this one.

Symptoms:

Interior light illuminates

battery @ 12.8v charged it this afternoon

wipers do not operate

no other bulb illuminates

except some warning lights (occasionally) when turning the ignition key.

no engine turn over - won't even try. I can't hear the starter solinoid click either.

starter coil appears to be OK tests closed though I did not do a resistance test.

when I turn the key I get a sizzling sound from underneath the steering colum near the change tray.

Maybe the ignition unit?

If I pull it out, how can I test it?

is there anything else I should test for?

I have not yet tried changign batteries with my wifes car, I do doubt that this will not be the problem.

thanks for your input.

I think you are on the right track. Is your key damaged or badly bent? The interior lights fuse is hot at all times. The wiper fuse and radio fuse are hot with ignition on...I think. So turn the key on and check the wiper, radio, anything else that only comes on with the key is turned on. If these don't work, I would certainly suspect the ignition switch. There is a testing proceedure, but I will refer you to the Haynes Repair Manual, becuase there are some precautions regarding air bags, and soob ign wiring may vary by model. If you have a 1990 to 1998 Legacy, I can copy down the testing directions from my book. Good luck.