Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL CV Joint Removal, HELP

I can not get the inboard CV joint to disconnect from the transmission, I have everything disassembled and the axel is free, but it wont release from the transmission, I am trying to replace my inboard boot which has been slit for to long now. My subb is an 87 GL hatchback 4 wheel drive. I deliver pizzas and am a student so I could really use the help before I miss to much work and have to spend the bucks, not that I really care about work.

I can not get the inboard CV joint to disconnect from the transmission, I have everything disassembled and the axel is free, but it wont release from the transmission, I am trying to replace my inboard boot which has been slit for to long now. My subb is an 87 GL hatchback 4 wheel drive. I deliver pizzas and am a student so I could really use the help before I miss to much work and have to spend the bucks, not that I really care about work.

Have you punched out the roll pin that holds the shaft in place? You need a specific size of punch to hammer it out. If you search this site I am sure you can quickly find the Sears part number.

Good Luck.

PS, I searched and read everything I could and found a few articles saying It needs to be done by using force, but it doesn't seem to be working, where the cv joint meets the transmission there is about 2 millimeters of play so it makes me think there is a locking mechanism. I want to punch my car in the face right now.

Okay, I got it off, the roll pin was stuck but it came out, Now I have to dissasemble the joints. Do I just screw the axel out of them? I am mechanically unsound on foriegn cars, I used to work on trucks so this is geting me flustered.

Hi GLJoe... I'm not sure why you're taking the axle off at all. The boot replacements that I have put on ...were put on with the axle on. The kit has an overlapping boot that you fill with greese and put new metal bands on the ends.

If you are replacing this cv boot because you heard a noise of felt a clunk then I recommend you put a new half shaft on it or rebuild the one you have.

Remember when you put the roll pin back in... that it goes in the big hole side rather than the small hole side.

boing

Okay, I got it off, the roll pin was stuck but it came out, Now I have to dissasemble the joints. Do I just screw the axel out of them? I am mechanically unsound on foriegn cars, I used to work on trucks so this is geting me flustered.

If you want my advice, just show up at your local discount parts store with the old axle and $60 and get a remanufactured axle. Opinions differ widely on axle maintenance, but when you look at all of the hassle of rebuilding and repacking your own joint $60 seems like a pretty good deal.