Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

(Newbie here)

Sorry for the idiot post, but did a search and haven't found much...

Is the EJ22 (2000 Impreza Outback Sport) clutch and flywheel compatible with the EJ25?

What upgrade options are there for the EJ22?

Is a light weight flywheel worth a darn? Expected HP gain? Got dyno results?

Any problems encountered upgrading the clutch and flywheel?

Is the Exedy clutch (SKU # I2030-75808) good?

How about the Cobb light weight flywheel? Does it chatter?

I appreciate any help concerning these issues.

Thanks.

You may use the 2.5 flywheels and clutches in your 2.2...beware if you get a 2.5 flywheel...you need a 2.5 clutch....

I am using ACT's light flywheel and a stockish exedy clutch....works great

Lightweight flywheels are very nice your RPM's shoot up quick....its nice...but the ride is a little rougher...

Cory

Thanks for the info Cory.

More questions...

Do the 2.5 clutches have a higher holding or clamping force than the 2.2?

Does the 2.2 clutch cable work with the 2.5 clutch or do I need a 2.5 cable? Any other related parts needed to upgrade the clutch?

What method did you use to replace the clutch?

I need to do the timing belt also, so would it be best to just pull the motor?

Thanks guys. :cool:

Is a light weight flywheel worth a darn? Expected HP gain? Got dyno results?...

Flywheels do not create power, they store and release it. Using a lighter flywheel changes the responsiveness of the engine without effecting the power output in any real way.

A lighter flywheel is good if you enjoy blipping your throttle, drive WOT in lower gears, or otherwise drive in a manner that requires the RPMs to rise and fall quickly.

A lighter flywheel will adversely effect the smoothness at idle and low engine speed. It can also influence the quality of clutch engagement, making if feel more "grabby" or "positive", depending on your point of view.

Want a tougher or stronger clutch in hopes that it will last a little longer than the stock 2.2 did (~83K miles), but see no need to go for a high end clutch like a stage 2 kit. It seems to me that my wagon may benefit from a stronger clutch due to the high load of the AWD drivetrain?

I figure that if the 2.5 clutch has a higher clamping force and is interchangable with the 2.2, then it should suite my needs without spending an arm and a leg.

I do mostly stop and go city miles and drive pretty hard from time to time, but do not slip the clutch excessively.

Concerning the flywheel, since the motor spools up faster with a lighter one, then is it safe to conclude the car should accelerate faster, translating to quicker 0-60 times?

Thanks.

Concerning the flywheel, since the motor spools up faster with a lighter one, then is it safe to conclude the car should accelerate faster, translating to quicker 0-60 times?

Thanks.

Not suggesting you try this in RL, but think about sitting in neutral at idle and flooring the gas. How long before the engine hits redline? With a lighter flywheel, it might be 0.1-0.2 seconds quicker... maybe. This will be about your difference in 0-60 times.

Instead of purchasing a $400 or more upgraded clutch, I instead paid $97 for a 6 puck carbonic disk and plan on using it with my stock pressure plate. It is manufactured by Kennedy and I purchased it at Discount Import Parts in Milwaukie Oregon.

Well i stand corrected....we bought a 2.5 clutch and pressure plate to make sure it would mate to the flywheel....is it a 2.2 pressure plate you are using too?

Lightened flywheel = quicker revs...but loose some of the smoothness when taking off etc...

im not sure if the 2.5 clutch disc is any diffrent but it stands to reason they are a little tougher.

• 1 year later...