Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pump seal kit EA81 question

I bought an oil pump seal kit for my EA81. I know where the little o-ring, the gasket and the medium sized o-ring go. But where in the hell does the really big o-ring go. There wasn't one on there when I took it off. I have attached a pick of the seal kit and the ones circled in green are the ones I know and the one circled in red I am clueless. Is this just an extra part or am I just confused???

Any help is appreciated.

oil pump seal kit.bmp

it's been years since I've had one apart but IIRC the big one goes between the two halves of the pump casing.

Agreed . Undo the small screws and you'll see it. If you do that, you will need another small o ring as well.

Were you able to get the phillips head screws out to split the pump case without stripping the heads? Out of the three pumps I've rebuilt now, all three of em I've stripped the heck out of those phillips heads cause the screws were too frickin tight.

yep I got them out. I almost stripped one. But I stopped and got another screw driver, found a way to put all my weight on it and it cracked loose thankfully. I think it is a bad design. A bolt, flat head screw or even an allen or a torx screw would be better. I bet you could replace them if you wanted to. I will replace them the next time I reseal the oil pump, if I ever need to. (probably will for sure nothing lasts forever). :)

Thats good. What I've done is just wallow them out to make em round, then hammering a next-size-up torx bit into the rounded out opening.

I know the screws are a super small, oddball size. I wasnt able to find a replacement in my local hardware stores.. I just made a mental note that when the pump seals finally wear out again, to just replace the dang thing with a new pump, as by then it would have more than enough miles on it to justify the expense.

So from your expirienece how long does an oil pump last?? And what would be a good sign that the pump is bad??? I turned the rod back and forth and it felt really smooth. I think mine still good. I don't think it is a very heavy wear item. Not too sure though, What do you think??

So from your expirienece how long does an oil pump last?? And what would be a good sign that the pump is bad??? I turned the rod back and forth and it felt really smooth. I think mine still good. I don't think it is a very heavy wear item. Not too sure though, What do you think??

You need to measure the clearances between the two rotors and bore to know if its time for a new pump. Any manual should have this procedure, if you havn't got one download that online fsm section.