Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 Justy Opinion?

I have been looking for a car to drive to work daily. I travel 110 round trip to my job. I have a customer that has a 1988-1989 Justy for sale and I can acquire it for a VERY reasonable price. It has been sitting for a while and it has a fuel leak on or below the carburater. It also has a problem with high idling that is probably related to the leak. It has 137k on the clock and it will need tires also. According to the owner it runs well otherwise. The AC also needs a recharge. Anyone here got a opinion or can direct me at thing to look for before I make this purchase? Thanks in advance for your help.! :)

Justy003.jpg

First off, welcome to the USMB!

Second, the Justy is sort of the orphaned step-child of the Subaru world, not really like anything else that Subaru offered in this country. So, there is less knowledge/experience here with the Justy than with the other models. That being said...

If the Justy is has the ECVT ("automatic") transmission, you should probably stay clear of it. It probably doesn't.

I enjoyed driving mine until the headgasket failed. I have been "changing the engine" now for almost a year; engine removal/replacement is somewhat involved and is difficult to do on my crushed rock driveway. Some day I will have more experience to pass along.

BTW, another forum just for the Justy is at:

http://subarujusty.proboards20.com/

I drove an '88 [ same car] til I sold it at 240,000 miles. No major problems at all. I, also, second avoiding the automatic. Also, see if what is wrong with the carb is minor. Those carbs are big $$$ & tempermental. I easily got 38-42 mpg with mine.

Don't know what you can get it for, but it shouldn't be very much.

I drove an '88 [ same car] til I sold it at 240,000 miles. No major problems at all. I, also, second avoiding the automatic. Also, see if what is wrong with the carb is minor. Those carbs are big $$$ & tempermental. I easily got 38-42 mpg with mine.

Don't know what you can get it for, but it shouldn't be very much.

Drove it today and it has a valve cover leak and the carb seems to be out of control. It idles at about 2k rpms. I suspect a vacum leak. It is a 5 speed and seemed to be OK otherwise. I passed on it because of the carb. :-\

Guys, I appreciate your help! If any of you own a Suzuki Samurai or a Ford look me up at www.zuwharrie.com Let me know if I can help you.:)

Drove it today and it has a valve cover leak and the carb seems to be out of control. It idles at about 2k rpms. I suspect a vacum leak. It is a 5 speed and seemed to be OK otherwise. I passed on it because of the carb. :-\

Guys, I appreciate your help! If any of you own a Suzuki Samurai or a Ford look me up at www.zuwharrie.com Let me know if I can help you.:)

Valve cover gasket is a cheap fix. Many vacuum lines run to & from carb. May find where one is loose & reconnect. I think they are good cars, & am driving another one, now.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has one and they seem to run long and well if you do not have the CVT [auto] transmission and avoid power shifitng with the manual 5 speed. Great mieage and the valve cover oil leak is pretty standard and not serious on those little 3 cylinders after they dry out some. Pretty easy and cheap to fix.

The carb problem may just mean that it needs a a can of gumout added to the fuel and a tank of high test ran through it. The carbs tend to gum up with age but it is not major.

They are tuff little cars and i would love to find a 4WD model in nice condition. I live in the Mountain state.

Slim