Ultimate Subaru Message Board

code 33

myu 85 t turbo has had a few water leaks in tha past week, i think i fixed them all but i was going down ther road and my temp shot up pretty quickly, and my ecs light came on. i went to the trunk to look at the code it was giving me and i got 33, which is coolent temp sensor or circuit. now i put on a temp sensor and it still flashes the code. any ideas?

anyone?

myu 85 t turbo has had a few water leaks in tha past week, i think i fixed them all but i was going down ther road and my temp shot up pretty quickly, and my ecs light came on. i went to the trunk to look at the code it was giving me and i got 33, which is coolent temp sensor or circuit. now i put on a temp sensor and it still flashes the code. any ideas?

the sensor at the thermostat housing with a single blade terminal is fo rthe gauge itself. if you replaced this one, the one sending the code is the one located behind the turbo and is for the ecu

if you indeed replaced the wrong one, the one behind the turbo has a connector like the injectors have, and the sensor itself is brownish in color. try cleaning the contacts first and see if this clears the code

if you have problems locating this part at the parts store, a nissan 24o sx sensor is the exact same thing. they will have ablue or brown one listed, ask for the brown one

i asked for one for a subaru turbo, not avaialble, subaru rx, not available, gl-10 not available. ok lets try nissan. what kind? pick one. how about 240 sx? ok. in stock, brown or blue? let me see them. ok the brown one. same part as the subaru works just fine!

the temp sensor was the one that sits ontop the t stat housing, it has 4 philip screws holding it in. if thats not it where are the other ones at? maybe someone could get me some pics on where they are located at.

that piece on top of the thermostat housing with the 4 screws is the idle air control valve. it is temp sensitive in the way that is introduced a false vavuum leak when colt do keep idle rpms up

anywy what you are looking for is behind the intake between the turbo. here is a picture from the back side of the intake, just under where the turbo would sit. you may have to take up the intake boot to get a good look. a long extension and a deep 17mm socket will get to it. be careful not to lose the copper washer. you have to remove the clip around the connector to get it off

tempfisensor.jpg