Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where's my canister? 97 outback

I have a po441 error code and I am looking for my charcoal canister. the book says right front corner of engine compartment. Not there. Later models behind right rear wheel. nope. any help would be appreciated. also my purge flow valve/solenoid which I might have located near left rear wheel has no electric wires to it? any insight?

I have a po441 error code and I am looking for my charcoal canister. the book says right front corner of engine compartment. Not there. Later models behind right rear wheel. nope. any help would be appreciated. also my purge flow valve/solenoid which I might have located near left rear wheel has no electric wires to it? any insight?

Canister should be located at passenger-side rear corner of vehicle, approx 1 foot forward of the bumper. It's mounted rather high up ---you really need to crawl under the vehicle at the right rear corner and look up to see it.

• 1 year later...

I think the "canister" you are looking for is, as they state, in the front passenger side of the engine compartment accessible from the top of the engine bay. It has 2 vacuum lines of different size going to it. As for that solenoid, I'm pretty sure the one you are looking for is very close to the front passengers side shock tower, again accessible from the top of the engine bay.

i think you are confusing things. On my 1997 is is located on the right front radiator mount. It has clips so that it can be removed to access things. The other can is a fuel vapor seperator (at least thats how it used to be), so that the canister doesnt suck up liquid.

i may be wrong, but the canister is under the hood

nipper

i think you are confusing things. On my 1997 is is located on the right front radiator mount. It has clips so that it can be removed to access things. The other can is a fuel vapor seperator (at least thats how it used to be), so that the canister doesnt suck up liquid.

i may be wrong, but the canister is under the hood

nipper

I thought that the fuel vapor seperator box was filled with active charcoal, to absorb the fuel vapors (and reduce the gas smell in a cold start). I might be wrong as well.