Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87" GL wagon ignition trouble

I have an 87 GL wagon with the 1800 no turbo. It died while sitting at a light and wouldnt start back up. I replaced the spark plugs and wires, as well as the distributor cap and rotor. no good. then i tryed the fuel filter. no good. I checked the timing belt and they're fine. When I try to start it i smell gas so it's not the fuel pump. Anyone have any clue as to what's wrong?

Do you have spark?

how did you check the timing belts? They commonly strip teeth, so they'll look fine through the tiny holes, but won't work.

Pop the disty cap off and crank the engine over and see if the rotor spins. If it does not spin, it's a timing belt. If it does spin, we'll have to look elsewhere.

My Brat did the exact same thing. It ended up that the voltage regulator was overcharging and completely killed the battery and messed up the alternator. Died in the middle of the intersection. Had to replace all three. Luckily the battery was still warranteed and free.