Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bad struts?

Hi everyone....

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a strut problem i'm having..

I just put in new monroe struts in the front of my 88 GL d/r wagon and I'm getting a little noise in the bumps. If I run over a speed bump with a little speed I get a 'clunk/thud' kinda sound coming from the passenger side.

All of the fasteners are tight. the strut job went flawlessly.

I did have the car bouncing a bit on a trip recently.

does anyone know if this is a fit problem or does it mean i need to replace the strut? Could there be a problem with the fluid passage within the strut? It kinda sounds like that to me!

thanks for any help you have to offer!

Thanks for the reply!

Everything looks ok under the car. All the linkage is good and tight.

I'm wondering what components within the strut may fail and cause noise during travel..... It just sounds like that to me

Thanks for all the help!

Wonder if you forgot to install that washer above the spring hat? Really sounds like there is "play" somewhere. Had the same sound years ago when I had rear struts installed in a GM product. Ride was so bad I started looking and noticed a thick rubber bushing on both struts was not installed.

Thanks for the reply!

Everything sounded great with the struts for about the first 1000 km. Then I had the car down by the river and bounced it around a bit.

under normal driving the struts sound good and tight. Only when the strut is required to travel very quickly do I get the noise. Like I had mentioned, it sounds like a noise from fluid/air moving through an orifice. Kinda like a vibration but very quick. But definetly not a rattle like I think a loose fastener or missing bushings would cause.

Thanks again!

Some shock absorbers will make a hissing or squelching noise - this is quite possibly normal, unless you can hear that one side does it worse than the other, in which case perhaps you should get it replaced.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found on two occations that new struts from Monroe have been manufactured wrong, or have been excessively noisey.

1st time was on my wifes Nissan. Got Monroes all round. Took about 3 weeks for the R.H.front to become noisey for no apparent reason. Cluncking and thudding when going over speed bumps at very low speeds. Monroes said that the strut did not contain enough fluid! (Quality control issues)

Now (a couple of years later) I am having to return both fronts from my 97 Subaru Liberty Wgn (in Australia / Legacy everywhere else) due to the spring seat being manufactured too large for the spring. There is a 10mm size difference between the outside diametre of the Subaru factory springs and the inside of the strut seat!!! The springs are then able to move around on the seat from side to side.. this especially happens when when making very slow tighter turns (carpark etc). they then make a horrible, metal on metal skreaching noise.

Monroe will take them back no problems, but certainly don't offer to pay for the replacements or the time involved in pulling them off etc, or the wheel alignment that you will need to get ! (again) !!!

Return them and get some other brand of strut !!!

(just my two cents from a not very happy customer)

RR