Ultimate Subaru Message Board

changed some parts, and......

well, changed the maf again, went with the different style, went with a different air intake hose from tb to the filter, new t filter for the fix by subaru for smoking during long hard turns, still runs like crap....idles much much rougher with maf attached then not....checked all hoses again for leaks....

at this point i can either run w/o the maf attached and have a much better running car that doesnt get as good gas mileage and has the check engine light on because of the o2 sensor, or connect the maf back up, connect the green connector and have the cel go off and have a car that runs pissy, or, try and sell it and let someone else do the detective work...

thoughts anyone??

To restate starkiller's question:

What would make an SPFI run MUCH better with the MAF disconnected than when it is connected (other than the obvious of a bad MAF)???

I have suggested ECU and/or connector issues (connector to ECU, the ECU's grounding, the connectors between engine harness and chassis harness).

My understanding is that it was after the first O2 sensor change (for emissions passing), but also immediately after he was driving downhill and put his foot(feet) on brake, clutch, or both (I forget, and he told me AGAIN just a couple of hours ago :confused: ). I had him check to see if there were any wires/connectors that he might have jiggled with his feet, but apparently not.

needed new o2 sensor to pass emissions as car was running too rich...got the sensor, passed, ran great for a couple of months...then, like northwet said..had to slow down from 60 on highway---foot off accelerator, foot push clutch in, cel goes on, code 35 and 32...changed purge control solenoid and the code 35 went away...32 still there, light still on, even after changing out o2 sensor...pinging real bad...runs 100% better with maf unplugged...

needed new o2 sensor to pass emissions as car was running too rich...got the sensor, passed, ran great for a couple of months...then, like northwet said..had to slow down from 60 on highway---foot off accelerator, foot push clutch in, cel goes on, code 35 and 32...changed purge control solenoid and the code 35 went away...32 still there, light still on, even after changing out o2 sensor...pinging real bad...runs 100% better with maf unplugged...

I'm not seeing anything about cleaning or, god forbid, replacing the MAF. I had some goofy issues until I bought a spray can of the BG & K 402 "Brake Cleaner". Went with it since it clearly states O2 sensor safe. Basically, leaves no residue whatsoever.

I spent 10 minutes removing and spraying the MAF LIGHTLY, let dry for 5, reinstalled, nothing but smiles. $7 worth of contact cleaner beats the hell out of $200+ new or $75 used. Good luck.

I'm not seeing anything about cleaning or, god forbid, replacing the MAF. I had some goofy issues until I bought a spray can of the BG & K 402 "Brake Cleaner". Went with it since it clearly states O2 sensor safe. Basically, leaves no residue whatsoever.

I spent 10 minutes removing and spraying the MAF LIGHTLY, let dry for 5, reinstalled, nothing but smiles. $7 worth of contact cleaner beats the hell out of $200+ new or $75 used. Good luck.

He has replaced the MAF at least once. A lot of the stuff he has done you will not see in this thread since he has had a couple of threads over the 2 months or so that he has had this problem.

Still, a good suggestion. :)

well, changed the maf again, went with the different style, went with a different air intake hose from tb to the filter, new t filter for the fix by subaru for smoking during long hard turns, still runs like crap....idles much much rougher with maf attached then not....checked all hoses again for leaks....

at this point i can either run w/o the maf attached and have a much better running car that doesnt get as good gas mileage and has the check engine light on because of the o2 sensor, or connect the maf back up, connect the green connector and have the cel go off and have a car that runs pissy, or, try and sell it and let someone else do the detective work...

thoughts anyone??

Though I realize that it is a longshot, the green connector under the dash isn't connected is it. It would be a huge coincidence that the my question yesterday would apply, but I also haven't tried connecting the green diagnostic connector and then disconnecting the MAF to see if the vehicle would run worth a ************.

Although doubtful, possible?

Though I realize that it is a longshot, the green connector under the dash isn't connected is it. It would be a huge coincidence that the my question yesterday would apply, but I also haven't tried connecting the green diagnostic connector and then disconnecting the MAF to see if the vehicle would run worth a ************.

Although doubtful, possible?

starkiller knows about these. And since this is an SPFI, the connectors are in the engine compartment.