Ultimate Subaru Message Board

water in exhaust, 1979 brat. engine swap?

1979 brat with e81. water comes out the exhaust pipe, think i have a major problem. what would be the newest engine i could bolt onto the tranny without a problem, if i had the tranny from a newer car would it line up with the rear transfer and the whole drive line? basicaly whats the newest motor that without a whole lot of hassel would work in a 1979 brat. thanks!

A little bit of pure water is a natrual byproduct of the internal combustion engine. Smell that mositiure and make sure its not coolant.

Are you blowing smoke? Just a few dropps out the tail pipe? Are you loosing coolant despite no visable leaks?

Not answering your question: Along with what MorganM wrote, intake manifold gaskets can leak coolant into the intake.

More to your question: How much money and work do you wish to expend? I assume that your 79 really has the EA71 (1600cc) engine. (all of the below is disclaimed with "IIRC" :-\ ) This has a different engine rear cover (bellhousing) than the later EA81 and EA82 engines.

This would imply that you would need an EA81/EA82 tranny to bolt up a later engine, OR you can bolt the EA71's back cover on to an EA81 engine and use your EA71 tranny.

If you really have an EA81, then yoo can bolt another EA81 engine to it. (Duh!)

Gen1 Brats are supposed to have a narrower distance between its frame rails than a Gen2 Brat, so from what I have heard an EA82 engine is either a tight fit or an impractical fit.

yeah it really does have an e81 in it, you can see it stamped into the engine. it also has the tranny because its dual range. so basically another e81 is my only option is what im getting. it pours water out the exhaust and runs cruddy, happend all the sudden

yeah it really does have an e81 in it, you can see it stamped into the engine. it also has the tranny because its dual range. so basically another e81 is my only option is what im getting. it pours water out the exhaust and runs cruddy, happend all the sudden

Bad news :(

Prolly dont need a whole new engine. Just a reseal of the one you have could get you on the road again. Find out what's actually leaking! As northwet poitned out (and I've had happen) intake manifold gaskets will poor water into the engine.

Upto you.