Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BYB 4/3 kit - anyone get their 4WD lever back down to normal?

The instructions say don't worry about it, but I'm somewhat of a completist, and want it back where it was, laying flat and not constantly lighting the 4wd light. Is it a giant hassle/not worth it? I had to cut the shifter boot's metal frame to ensure the shifter fully engaged 2 and 4.

Carl 86 Brat

how much work do you want to do?

you could lengthen the linkage bar (cutting/welding) the proper way if you want it back to normal

I'v bent the tab that holds the switch, and lengthened the top piece of the switch with a screw. it mostly worked...

along with that,I bent the shifter rod down....so it was flat sort of

those are chevy 15" wheels (pre-88)

I drilled the wheels, because I wanted to be able to switch back to pugs/soob wheels if needed, which I did,when I tradd off the Brat, I kept those wheels... they will eventually end up on my lifted 82,just not sure when....

fitting them: Idid a lot of pounding at the back of the front wheel wells (like 2-3 inches worth) and did a lot of fender trimming. probably more than necessary, but worked for me..... I never did any wheeling with it though, so I'm not sure if it was enough... or too much....

with those tires on, they stuck out about 4" past the fenders. had a manual steering rack in it,and with those tires, they grabbed every little crack in the road, so it was interesting to drive....