Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle problem

I wanted to buy some new axles for my 84 GL hatch 4x4. I went to checker with my old one and gave them the info for my car so they could pull up the part. The had some in stock and let me see them. I pulled out my old axle to check to make sure it was right. From just looking at it the axles look the same. I had previously pulled an axle from a junkyard from an 84 wagon and I had a problem with the part that rides in the wheel bearing being to large of a diameter to fit through the wheel bearing on my hatch. I told the checker dude about this and he measured the diameter of my old one and the new one. Sure enough the new axle bearing race area was 7 thousandths bigger than the one that came off my vehicle. We tried a brat and a few others but they all came up with the same part number. The only one that was different was the DL. It has 2 different axles you could choose from. Has anyone ran into a similar problem as this. It is making it really hard to buy a new axle. And I really don't want to order one if I can't see if it is the right size or not. Please help if you can....:-\

Well I really tried hard to force the I axle I got off the 84 4x4 wagon through the right side wheel bearing, would not fit. And then I took the left axle off and tried to put it through there, didn't fit either. But the axle from right side of my hatch fits on the left side with no problem. Oh yea and both 1984 4x4 GL Wagons and Hatches axles have the same part number at checker. I have done CV axles on quite a few different cars and I have never had to force them in like I was trying to do with that one. I just need some damn axles already. I have rebuilt the ones I have like three times and I am lucky I am only breaking the back part which can be swapped with pretty much any 80s subie in the junkyard. But the outside part isn't going to last forever.

:dead: