Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone advise if the cam cap does anything except cover a hole. In other words, does it support the cam in anyway? Or is replacing the o-ring as simple as removing two bolts, taking the cap off, replace the o-ring, then replace and torque the two bolts?

Gary thanks for the reply. I was worried that the cap might support the camshaft end or perform some other function that could go terribly wrong when the cap was pulled off. So give it a twist if it doesn’t want to come right off? Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Yohy- Have you replaced the o-ring for the cam cover yet? How did it go?

I have a similar problem with the cam cover cap leaking. If you take the cover off will oil flow freely, thus requiring the o-ring replacement to be done at an a oil change intervval? How easy was it to replace the cam seal?

Yohy- Have you replaced the o-ring for the cam cover yet? How did it go?

I have a similar problem with the cam cover cap leaking. If you take the cover off will oil flow freely, thus requiring the o-ring replacement to be done at an a oil change intervval? How easy was it to replace the cam seal?

pandaB,

Gary was spot on, I had to twist the cover back and forth while pulling outward. I was just a bit, check that, a lot nervous about pulling that cap off. Just to easy your nerves, it came off and went on without a hitch. It doesn't have any tension on it like it is actively supporting the cam (so when you pull it off, things go twang and fly all over the place!). Oh, the torque specs on those bolts is 12 ft, lbs. and you will be replacing an o-ring on the cap. Again, I was nervous about pulling that cap, but it was a non event, no leaking oil, no parts flying around the garage. Go for it.