Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pump not picking up, clattering upon start.

Lets assume you have oil?

You could unscrew your filter and see if its getting fresh oil after you have run it for a bit?

Have you dropped the pan and looked to see if the pickup tube is clogged?

If the filter is dry and the tube is not clogged, it could be oil pump replacement time....

Welcome to the board,

Glenn

83 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

During the 16 years that I had my much-loved and dearly-missed 82 DL Hatch with the 1600 engine, I found that it was sensitive to what kind of oil filter was being used. It really liked the OEM Subaru filters. Aftermarket filters would make the valves clatter on cold starts. I was told by a Subaru tech that Subaru puts an anti-drainback valve in the filter, while other brands have the valve in the oil pump. How true this is, I have not verified... but from observation I can say that my 1600 EA81 did start up quieter with a Subaru filter.

My current EA82 1800 (spfi) doesn't seem to care. Long as it's got oil, it goes.

The 1985 that has sat under the tree a few years starts but does not pick up oil pressure, valves clatter, any ideas?

well since the car has sat you are hearing the hydraulic valve lifters. its normal for the tick to occur after the car has sat, or even after a top end rebuild

run the car for a while as they have gone dry from sitting, eventually the noise should clear up

its nothing to worry about, sometimes a perfectly running subaru will make the noise on and off, its nothing major as a mechanical issue, more of an annoyance

run new oil and a filter and drive the car, dont be afraid to get some rpms

should the noise not clear up try repplacing the oil pump seal as this would be the other common cause for the noise

Oh yea, mine sat for five years before I got her and loved her back to life. She had only 12000 miles on a new engine (but a shot tranny).

It took FOREVER for the lifters to quiet down. And that even after several flushes and MMO. MMO can take time to get the job done.

Pyro

I've found that my Sub LOVES Wix filters. They jumped my oil pressure up about 10 points both cold and at full temp. I'm pretty sure they have anti-drain back valves as they also saved my Kia, the oil light was staying on too long after start up, I was running a wal-mart filter, changed to a wix and and the light goes out same time as all the others.

They're only 4 or 5 bucks for most sizes. Only place I can find 'em is RockAuto.com but I think that NAPA Gold filters are a Wix in disguise.