Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a problem...'84 Wagon

I have an '84 wagon with an EA81 and it has that stupid digital dash...Anyway is hasn't been overheating, but getting really warm. I can't tell exactly how warm because it doesn't give you an actual temperature reading, the meter just climbs and gets 2 bars from the top. So I go to change the thermostat because that's the easiest thing to start with. So I change the thermostat, start up the subby and let it run for a couple minutes, then it just up and dies and won't start back up! Neither my dash or my windows work. I checked all my fuses and they are fine. It appears That I'm getting no spark. Would the coil going out cause my dash and windows to go out too? Or could it be something more serious like the computer, does this thing even have a computer?! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would like to get this things fixed ASAP because I need to drive it.

I agree with what NorthWet says. First clean the battery connection with a battery brush. Check the fusible links for a problem. If they are ok then check the ignition switch. I would get a test light probe so you can verify that power is getting to the places that it should be.

I've already checked all the connections and the battery is spotless, the fuseable link checks out ok. Also, all my other accessories work. The windshield wipers, radio, fan on the heater and horn all work fine. Would the ignition switch cause my dash and windows not to work? Where can I find the ignition switch? This is my first Subaru and I haven't had it that long so I don't know where anything is.

Breathe... the ignition switch is where the key goes. :)

So, the heater fan comes on when you turn the key in the ignition switch, correct? Does the starter function when you tiurn the key to "start"?

From what I understand, the digi-dash can quit functioning if it gets an electrical stress, such as overvoltage/spikes from the alternator. I do not have any info on how the power windows are wired in the EA81s, or if there is a comon fuse for both it and the digi-dash.

Yes, the heater fan comes on when to key is turned in the ignition switch. The starter works also, the engine just isn't getting any spark. The fuses are all fine unless there are more hiding somewhere other than the fuse panel. I really appreciate your help, thanks.

Since other things are turning on when the ignition switch is turned on then that means it is ok. I would check for voltage getting to both sides of the ignition coil with the key turned to the 'on' position using a test light probe. If there is voltage getting to the plus side of the coil and not to the minus side then the coil is open and needs to be replaced. If you have power to both sides of the coil connections (+ and - sides) then place the test probe on the coil minus side and crank the engine. The light should start pulsing with each ignition pulse. If you don't see any pulses then check the pickup loop in the distributor for a problem.

What does it mean when there is no power at all at the coil?

Since other things are turning on when the ignition switch is turned on then that means it is ok. I would check for voltage getting to both sides of the ignition coil with the key turned to the 'on' position using a test light probe. If there is voltage getting to the plus side of the coil and not to the minus side then the coil is open and needs to be replaced. If you have power to both sides of the coil connections (+ and - sides) then place the test probe on the coil minus side and crank the engine. The light should start pulsing with each ignition pulse. If you don't see any pulses then check the pickup loop in the distributor for a problem.

The power to the coil is usually supplied to it through an ignition relay which is controlled by the ignition switch. I would check the relay next to see if you have power there and if it is being turned on by the ignition switch.

Any idea on where I would find this relay? Is it on or by the switch?

The power to the coil is usually supplied to it through an ignition relay which is controlled by the ignition switch. I would check the relay next to see if you have power there and if it is being turned on by the ignition switch.

Everything is where it should be. That was the first thing I checked. And it worked after I changed the thermostat, just not for long. I'll hunt for the relay tomorrow. Can I just do a continuity test on it?

Let's see now: it ran fine before you changed the thermostat, and it had problems immediately afterwards. sounds to me something was disconnected or broken. I would really search around the area I was working that is...if it were me.

You can, but then power needs to be disconnected to the contacts. You cannot check resistance of a circuit that has power applied to it. It will be much easier and more valid to test for voltage on both sides of the switched contacts.

If the problem is in the ignition area that supplies the voltage to the solenoid then yes, you could just have a switch supply voltage to the solenoid coil contact. If the problem is in the solenoid or the starter motor then you will have to deal with them.

The starter works fine, I just put it in not too long ago. When I turn the key, the starter starts going but the engine doesn't turn over. There is just no power at the coil to spark the engine.

EDIT - I just bought the car and the ignition coild looks almost bland new, there's almost no dirt on it at all. But that doesn't mean it's new...