Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to board and just bought a 90 justy

Hello everyone,

I was looking for a possibility of a new or reconditioned motor so I checked out the net. Found this very informative forum. A little history in my family with Subaru. With my understanding of Subaru my mom bought one back in Ft. Dodge Iowa. When they first started coming to the united states a lot where not selling so she got a very, very good deal on one and was one of the first to buy one in ft. dodge during the winter time. Everyone in her family said she was stupid. The thing was that they where junk. Later on in the years she was told man those cars sure did turn out to be good. She went back and fourth from the east coast to the west coast over six times. She finally came up to Washington where she meet my father who finally killed it over a head on collision with a truck on a logging road. Great rigs. My problem is I am looking for a motor. I bought the Subaru justy for 350 and was told it only needed new bearings. And the shaft to be turned I have looked at recent posts. Here I was thinking of a great car with the gas mileage. And recommendations ect. Have called a few places and no one has had one for years or they have some but the bottom ends are bad or they are carbureted and they want 500 . It is a 90 1.2 fuel injected. Only reason why the 4x4 doesn’t work is some vacuum box under the hood a hose is broken off. Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Should I just have it rebuilt the guy here in my town wants 2000k to rebuild it. Other than that it is a great little car very cute but I should have researched how hard it was to find parts.

thanks a bunch.

Bob

Deming, Wa

Bob,

I don't know much about the Justy but I have always thought they were neat little cars with lots of potential. My impression is that on this board the Justy is sort of a black sheep because it is different in many ways from some of the more common subarus. Don't let that deter you. Good luck.

-Jack

Welcome!

And, yes, the Justy is sort of thought of as a step-sister here. Too bad, because it is a pretty neat car. I would look into getting a "JDM" (Japanese Domestic Market) imported used engine. Japan has some odd laws, and one requires replacing engine and transmission after short mileage (approx 40k miles). These engines are crated up and imported into the USA. Here on the West Coast, we have quite a few importers, and the Justy engine I bought 2 years ago was about $425. Or, if you are mechanically inclined, you could rebuild it yourself, though parts pices will kill you.

A friend of mine go a justy (Fuel injected like yours) and it had a blown motor. So what we did was found a Carbed justy motor and just switched out the block,and used all the stuff off the fule injected motor stuffed it back in and she fired right up and ran great.:D

I dont know if this will work on your year depending on the year of the other motor you get but thats what I've done and it worked

~FAT~

Thanks for the responses. I have called all over british columbia asking. From texas to wisconsin to california. http://www.atk-engines.com they want 1595 with a 240 core back with a 3 year unlimited mileage would get it with free shipping to and from japan. And asap wants 595 with a 90 day warranty. I read where a member got burnt so i dont know they said this with a response.We have a nice low mileage engine in stock. It has been hot run tested, cylinder tested, inspected, steam cleaned, palletized and is ready for

shipping. The cost of the engine is 595. It has a 90 day warranty,

unlimited miles. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate toask.

Thanks

Scott

www.asapmotors.com

Sun engines in california has a carburated motor and so does lynnwood japanese for 475 but how hard would it be to convert them my I think it is a ef12 vin is Jf2ka83a0ld700009 i think that would be an 83 then right. I am more of a ford chevy person. Never rebuild a smaller motor. I did hear that with motors that come over from japan sea air gets everywhere even with transit. Great posts and links i have to say almost done reading every post that tells from clutches which seem easier then anything then child seatbelts.

bobby

My 90 Justy met its death for the same reason..lower bearings went..if I would have known then what I do know I probably would still be driving the thing...It was an awesome little car..great in bad weather.Keep looking you will find something..I had a motor located for mine in FL ...but that was many years ago..I didnt want to spend the money on shipping. I know where there is one sitting back against some trees by my boyfriends house. Every time I say something about it my boyfriend tells me that I already have 2 cars and dont need a third...BUT ITS A JUSTY!!!! I whine..but dont get my way about it :grin: .

Good Luck!!

Japanese Engines, Inc in Lynnwood should be able to get you one (as should several others). That is where I got my carbureted one. It is possible that they just don't have one in stock at the moment; not an uncommon situation. They would also know if a carbureted engine would work with your injection gear (you usually need to swap external components anyways).

I have never had any issues with my JDM engiens/transmissions. Inside of their sealed containers, probably completely surrounded by other sealed containers, I doubt that there is any real problem with damage form sea air. No more so than anything else that we get from Asia... like our Subarus...

I have known a few real classics under some trees even some model really cool old equipment. I beginning of summer i bought a 25 ton conventional american crawler crane for cheap kinda fun after slowly fixing her up. Good engine puller or car lifter and play around. I called lynnwood and the guy had no clue what it would take. Even if efi would match to a carburated. Hmm just funny my sister gave me a manual for it five months ago then i get the car lol kinda funny huh.

bob