Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Put a carb on an spfi engine?

This seems quite possible, but will it cause me problems like pinging or such?

The out-of province inspection on the hornet is almost done, but they need me to fix the oil leaks on the car. I have a nice spfi engine in my '88 with minimal leaking. It would be easiest for me to pull the engine out of the hornet and swap in the '88 engine. I'd have to change the manifold and disty, but that's easy.

I'm just worried about the increased compression. I still want to use regular, not mid or premium. Gas prices here just went to CAD $1.06/litre - that's CAD $4.01/gallon, or USD $3.35/gallon.

I really don't care about power, all that matters is getting this car past the safety inspection. The oil leaks right onto the exhaust and smokes. There's a risk (however small it may be) of fire, so the leaks need to be stopped up before it will pass inspection.

There's no emissions inspection to worry about for me, not in my province.

Would my mileage go up? Just wondering...

its probably nothing you would notice reely. but technicaly. the new motor wants more fuel than the old motor, because of its higher compression, so it could be runing lean unless you rejet. just listen for pinging, and set the timing right and you should be just fine.

prolly better gas mileage, but you have to keep your foot out of her.

... the new motor wants more fuel than the old motor, because of its higher compression, so it could be runing lean unless you rejet. ...

There is no reason that the (marginally) higher CR would effect Air/Fuel ratio. It will not run any leaner/richer. It may be more prone to detonation, but the difference would be lost in the "noise" of all of the other variables that effect combustion.

As archemitis said, retarding the timing by a degree or two would probably mitigate the detonation risk.