Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Foaming Coolant - FIXED... I think

So I got my freebie up and running like a champ, but there is one problem. I have foaming coolant. I did put some radiator flush (detergent style) in not too long ago, but have since drained/flushed the radiator (but not the engine). I did have a bad rad cap, but have since replaced it. This is allowing the foam to get out the overflow tank.

Could the flush still be in the system causing the foam? Am I looking at a head gasket issue? Help!:confused:

Yes, a small amount of detergent can make a large amount of foam. And since the block will retain 30-50% of the total coolant, I would assume that there would be quite a bit of flush in the system.

If you don't have a reason to suspect a leaking HG then you probably don't have one.

A nut near the exhaust y pipes on each head. I think you need a hex bolt to undo it. I took the thermostat off, did a reverse flush of the block. Turned the heater on, disconnected the hoses and did a flush of it. Worked well, but i'm not 100% it would completely flush the cooling.

I think it could be a HG, but as a last resort!

...I took the thermostat off, did a reverse flush of the block. Turned the heater on, disconnected the hoses and did a flush of it...

This would be a good way to go. Please note that, AFAIK, there is no heater control valve on the EA82s and up, so the heater circuit is always "on".

Please note that, AFAIK, there is no heater control valve on the EA82s and up, so the heater circuit is always "on".
Thanks for that. I did a flush on an older vehicle that does, so i assumed the Subaru would have one on the heater unit.

Thanks for that. I did a flush on an older vehicle that does, so i assumed the Subaru would have one on the heater unit.

If in doubt, better to set the heater control to "hot" anyways. It doesn't hurt anything, and the effort is rewarded by knowing that the heater is "open".

Huh... never woulda thunk of running with the hose on it. Seems that the water would be too cold for the hot block. I have ice cold well water... think that would make a difference?

Either way, thanks for the tips. I'll be trying them out tonight!

So I flushed the WHOLE system and it seems to have "fixed the glitch." No foam in the overflow tank.

BUT, when I had the rad cap off to bleed the system, I had tiny bubbles. Could this be the last bit of air in the system, or is it definately a head gasket? Even if it is the gasket, I'm gonna run her until it's real bad.

Guess I should borrow a cylinder pressure gauge eh?

A bubble wouldn't be unusual after a flush of the block. I'd think your HG are fine. Don't bother with a pressure test. If the water only has water, the oil only has oil and your not burning too much oil... keep driving. Basically, just keep an eye on it.

I wouldn't stress at all. Everything seems to be easily explainable now you've sucessfully flushed it.