Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air filter study - very interesting

Oil filters are the best for very high dust areas, like the desert.

nipper

So why did they move away from those? I've had a few old vehicals with those on them ('43, '53, '61), and figured the paper ones were a new improvement or something. Or maybe they were just cheaper or less dirty to change?

So why did they move away from those? I've had a few old vehicals with those on them ('43, '53, '61), and figured the paper ones were a new improvement or something. Or maybe they were just cheaper or less dirty to change?

like anything else, the newer ones are better then the 40-50 year old ones. Paper weaving technology has gotten a lot better then what was available then.Todays paper filter is possibly as good as an oil bath filter from the pre 70's. i had a 63 rambler where it was still available as an option. i think sometimes in the mid 60's they were droped.

Also today people dont like anything messy when they have to do something as routine as a paper filter change.

nipper

Interesting read. How many people just upgrade their filter and not the whole filter/intake assembly? Personal dyno tests before and after an AEM cold air intake on my old Integra (yes its a honda, but the thread started off with a truck...) showed 14 hp gain. I noticed that there were no dyno charts in this test...