Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber/hitachi/SPFI

Hi all

I am looking for advice on what I should do. I have a hitachi in my car that the secondary is not working on. I am wondering what people think about switching to a weber, repairing the hitachi or switching to a SPFI system? What is involved in a SPFI conversion? I have found alot of information about the weber conversion, but just mentions that maybe an SPFI conversion is better than a weber conversion? Thanks

Putting on the Weber will give you both better power and mileage (depending on how heavy your foot is). The SPFI conversion is much more complicated, since the carbed car's simple wiring will have to be upgraded with wiring from a SPFI car. I recommend the Weber, if pollution regs aren't an issue where you are.

Thanks for the info - I have to do a emissions test, so will they know if it will make a difference and not allow the car to pass or do I just have to try it and see - I am in Vancouver washington, so if anyone has gotten passed emissions here . . . thanks again.

it is all about tuning on these carbs.....i know people that can't pass with a stock setup much less anything else.they just need to learn how to tune there stuff properly.it is possible to tune and run a weber on a daily driver with success.......http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29778

check out this thread for more info......

it is all about tuning on these carbs.....i know people that can't pass with a stock setup much less anything else.they just need to learn how to tune there stuff properly.it is possible to tune and run a weber on a daily driver with success.......http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29778

check out this thread for more info......

You're right, Webers can be tuned lean to pass emissions. But many states have a visual test also, not just the tailpipe sniffer, so it has to look stock under the hood. One way around this is to put an adaptor on top of a Weber carb that lets you use the stock air filter container. If the tester isn't too observant, he'll just glance at the setup and think it's stock.

There is such an adaptor for sale. It is used to put on a snorkel. You can find it at the Pierce Manifolds website--www.webercarburetor.com. Look under Air filters and Air Horns. Call them and maybe they will sell you just the part you need, not the whole snorkel kit.

Before you do anything, go talk to an emissions guy. Tell him what you are thinking about doing and see if it would pass the test in your state. In Anchorage AK, you can't do ANYTHING (even if it makes the vehicle pollute LESS) to the engine and pass because of our strict visual inspection.

If you aren't afraid of a little electrical work, the SPFI conversion is REALLY easy and simple. Whether it makes more power than a Weber is debatable, but one thing is for sure: unlike the Weber, it will ALWAYS run right. If your weather conditions or elevation changes, the Weber will need tuning to run like it should, while the SPFI continues to work fine. I have run a Hitachi, a Weber, and SPFI on my car, and the SPFI is by far my favorite setup.

Look in the USRM for the link to my SPFI conversion manual. It will answer a lot of questions as to the difficulty and complexity of the swap.

Thanks for all the suggestions - electrical isn't that scary for me, so I should be able to handle it - will there be more problems with spfi from carb with emissions or will I be able to mount it up and it'll go? An snowman - I took a look at the manual and couldn't find anything about spfi conversion - can you give me a more direct pointer? thanks

weber carbs are emmisions legal in most states...

I get 27 mpg with a weber on my 86' wagon.. runs great, no smelly fumes, etc..

no emmisions test here tho..

personally i prefer a well tuned weber over that SPFI junk anyday, unless i had a 4x4 only rig, then the spfi would be nicer..