Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are these?

Ok here are a few more questions I have about my 85 GL, 1.8 engine. I dont know what these things are. Here are some pics and descriptions, please let me know. Thanks guys.

1. What's this black filter looking thing next to the oil cap? Does it ever need to be replaced with a new one?

Filter.jpg

2. And also this connection thats plugged off, is it supposed to be connected to something?

Plug.jpg

3. This electrical connector next to the strut, is it supposed to be connected to anything?

Connector.jpg

Hey, can't really help with #1, mine has a different thing there, you can see it in one of my pics in your other post. Mine's a little disc shaped thing with 4 or 5 lines coming out. They probably changed emissions components all the time even in the same model years.

#2, on my car those two inlets are 1. The pcv coming up from the pass. side valve cover, (looks like yours is hooked up, i can see it in the bottom corner of the pic) and 2. the Air suction valve on the pass. side. should be hooked up similar to the one on the driver's side that we were talking about in the other post.

#3. Don't know what it's for, but it's just hanging there on mine too. maybe some unused cruise control thing since neither cars have cruise.

NO! NO! That's not what I meant, it should have a hose like the OTHER hose on the driver's side. It's supposed to go down to a noise filter and then the air suction valve.

I'll try putting it like this:

Passenger side: One hose should be the PCV hose coming out of the valve cover. (You have that correct in the pic). The second blocked-off one is supposed to have a hose going down to a silencer and from there down to the Air Suction Valve by the exhaust. (this may be why you're failing emissions, the ASV helps get extra oxygen and stuff into the exhaust system)

Drivers Side: One hose is the nowhere hose. The second hose should be the Air Suction Valve for the driver's side exhaust. On my car the hose goes down to a black silencer next to the distributor that's different than the one on the passenger side, and from there down to the driver's side ASV.

So, I guess what I'm saying is Each side of the engine needs its own ASV hose going to the air cleaner.

Whew.... Hope that makes sense, I tend to get too wordy sometimes and forget what I was trying to say in the first place. Anyway, I'm no expert I just learned all this myself when I took a good look today.

Really? It'd be less complicated if they all only had one. I guess it's possible when you consider how different our two cars have been so far, I never realized that the factory would alter things so much within the same model year. Could be that our cars have been altered over the years too, new components that don't look like the originals, or altered to pass emissions too, who knows!

Hey Camelwagon, have you looked on your pass. side to see if there's a hole for that hose next to that exhaust pipe? It'd make your life easier if TomRhere is right, less complicated to figure out your emissions problem and stuff. Plus it'd learn me a thing or two, I guess I just assumed that the 2 ASV's were on all ea82 engines. Can Anyone else confirm Tom's memory? If so I guess you can just forget everything I've told you camelwagon! LOL

In your "Unconnected hoses" post in my last pic I have my finger right on it, it's on the passenger side just rear of the head. You can see the CV boot behind my hand. If it's true and you don't have one on that side then you may have no hole, and maybe not even that metal pipe next to it. Let me know what you find, I find this stuff fascinating for some reason.

I just did a search on the ASV but all I found was mostly about EA81 engines, so I resurected a dead post and asked what EA82s had on them.