Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dangit, ea82t is annoying me.

i just got my rx back to life tonight after resealing the engine and putting in new head gaskets. it still smokes as bad as it did before the head gasket job and i think i now have the famous tick of death. sounds like the lifters are ticking about as loud as the exhaust at 2k rpm. my frined could hear the ticking from down the street when i did a test drive.

on a positive note, the car has a lot more power than it used to and doesnt over heat anymore. but it has a couple new leaks here and there, looks like there might also be an issue with the exhaust manifold as well, possibly a crak on the driverside near the flange...

why is it that every accomplishment is folowed by twice as many failures.

damn, if i could get the engine done up right, i could finally sell the damn thing. all i want is a decent brat. granted, i love the rx, its a blast to drive when its running right, i just cant keep throwing money into it to try to fix it.

yeah, mine smoked before the head gasket job, which is why i did it, and smokes just as bad, i think its still burning coolant, at least it still stinks like coolant in the smoke. i think that the lifter thats making all the noise might be the one that wouldnt come out of it's hole when i had the engine apart.

its making more power than it did before the head gasket replacement, but its still smoking more than is acceptable. it was so bad that when i was backing into the the drive way, i couldnt see anything behind the car. and i couldnt really hear anything over the ticking....

well, i dont think thats coolant burning, but it stopped smoking today and the lifters quieted down a bit. the lifters are no longer deafining.i still think the manifold might have a crack under the heat shroud. i can see what looks like exhaust streaming out from the head sheild.

well, looks like the smoke was just the crap left over from before the head gasket job. probably just what was left in the cat... either way, the lifter tick has gone away and it didnt smoke at all tonight.:banana:

now it looks like all thats left is to find out where the little coolant leak it and figure out if the exhasut manifold is cracked.

Mine smoked like hell for the first day or so after the rebuild.. But I had left the block sitting with some p-oil sitting in the combution chambers.. forgot to blow it out before I out the heads on..eeewww.. that stank.

that sounds like what most likely happened with mine. i am actually going out to run it for a little while. hell, if i dont sell it, i might actually drive it again, its a fun little car to romp around in.

also, if i keep it. i might look into fitting a set of audi tt corner mount intercoolers to it. hmm, that could be a fun challenge.