Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I need a new clutch?

I think the answer's probably yes, but here are the circumstances.

This morning, I was driving up a steep hill near my house (160th in Burien, for those of you who know the area). I got it up to 4th gear, and the engine started to rev up without putting in the clutch. I put it back in 3rd, and continued up the hill fine. When I got home, I adjusted the clutch cable nut out three turns. After that, I was able to drive up the same hill three times without any problem, but the pedal worked a lot lower than I like. I adjusted the nut back in 1.5 turns. Now the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, and the clutch catches in a reasonable spot, but is this just a sign that I'm due for a new clutch?

Yup. Start looking around for someone with an engine lift you can borrow. When an EA82 starts slipping the clutch, it's pretty close to gone.

If your car is leaking oil, it might be a good chance to reseal all the major points while the engine is out of the car.

-=Russ=-

If you have never changed the clutch cable, you might find its a bit stretched. When i changed my clutch the old plate seemed to have a bit left in it and the new one i put only has half its adjustment. Cables are pretty cheap i think, evenso much cheaper and quicker than a clutch job.

holy cow dude... you live near me... I live just off of 160th... on 166th... thats scary... whats up.. man. do you own a blue wagon? thats or a white wagon...or an old red gen-1 wagon?

those are the only 5speeds in this neighborhood... that I'm aware of.

(believe me I've been watching driveways..)

-xoomer

I think I'm just around the corner from you, Xoomer. Is your XT the blue one with the front license plate in the windshield? I have a black Loyale wagon with Pugs and Hellas on the front on 15th.

yes thats me.. as soon as I saw that I went out and looked for your car.. I didn't see it...

I have an Idea though.. its just insane that we are so close.. if you need help with your clutch I'll help if you help when its time to put my motor back in..