Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL sedan: Good for rallying?

wich system is it exactly? duel range? full time?

I was planing on building my R/X as a rally car but have reconsidered.

it would work fine for a rally X car.

there are no upgraded factory replacement struts avl. for those cars that would work for rally. custom coil overs are possible but not cheap.:-\ the cabin area would be a bit tight with a roll cage installed. it would also place you in the same class as the WRX and lancer evo. In stock form those cars are awesome.

I will be looking to buy a 2wd normaly aspirated car first to have a low cost starter car. I recomend buying a completed car too.

not what you wanted to hear but it might save some frustration.

if the budget alows go for it. any thing can be done with enough green backs.

good luck.:headbang:

i would like to add a little somethin... you wouldn't be in pgt, which would put you against the wrx's and stuff.... if you get ahold of a rule book, it doesnt really matter how old, it has multiplier table in it. since you only have two valves per cylinder, you are classified in production class..... but still, very uncompetitive.... rally-x is prolly the best thing you can do and not get whooped too bad.. ,i run my wagon with big tires and i do average.... i would suggest that you stayway from rally with a car that lacks power, at last anything under 100bhp.......... just my two cents

what class would a boosted turbo rx sit in? If you get put in an appropriate class then get an rx/turbo wagon/xt turbo, and gut it. Then increase the boost and put an IC on it. Also, find a dual range full-time tranny (rx's have them) and you're set. The standard 4wd works just as well off-road, put you don't want to drive it too much on dry pavement, because it binds, and is hard on the axles.

doesnt modifying the motor immedietly throw you into the top of the pack? Up against pro mod WRX's, EVO's and such. You'll prolly get butchered in there. If only the north american spec legacy turbo's had 210 hp (as opposed to only 160) like the overseas spec ones did then we would have a cheap competive rally car over here, with which you could actually stand a chance against teams with money and new wrx's.:banghead:

Not necessarily true if we're talking rally X.

I just won in open class with my baaaaarely modded 97 4 door L impreza. I've only added a cold air intake and cheap snow tires.

This last time, there were 4 full on rally cars and 2 modded STI's (300+hp) among the 30 or so cars in my class.

Second place went to a guy in the twin to my car. Same basic set-up, except he had also added a flomaster exaust.

Drivers win rallys, not always cars.

I say start out in a basic car, have fun learning how, then upgrade to a faster better car.

$.02