Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weight of the driveline+rear differential (+suspension)?

Tee Koo

200 lb

Sounds reasonable. The driveshaft itself it feels like about 50 or 60 lbs. You could try looking up the curb weight of the FWD vs the 4WD version, but there could be other differences too.

Does anyone know why they use the two piece driveshaft with a center carrier instead of a one piece driveshaft like most pickups and SUV's? This design looks like a heavy duty driveline design typically only used on large trucks (flatbeds, dumptrucks, etc), or some of the old japanese mini-pickups that were way overbuilt.

You could try looking up the curb weight of the FWD vs the 4WD version, but there could be other differences too.

I tried to look for info, but there weren't enough info on weights of the 2wd vs 4wd. It said that they weight the same, but that can't be right... ...anyone have some good info about the weights of the 2wd vs 4wd (with same engine and equipments)?

200lbs sounds about right in the scale, thanks for that! :)

i'd guess:

35 for the driveshaft

55 for the rear diff

rear CV axles - 30 for both.

not sure what rear suspension stuff you're talking about? sounds like youre trying to convert to FWD? so you'd install a lighter transmission as well, that may be a significant as well.

all told i think you could come close to that 200 figure above if you removed everything possible.

if yo'ure looking for better gas mileage, weight won't make much difference if you drive mostly highway miles. if you drive lots of stop and go/city traffic then it might. i drive highway miles all the time and i've had no problem getting the same 27ish mileage whether i'm bone dry or carrying a couple hundred pounds...like 2 motors in the trunk and a full set of WRX wheels i had in my car for a couple hundred miles on monday. back when i was in college i'd pack everything i owned in my car from floorboard to ceiling and head off on my 700 miles treck. mileage was always the same as just driving with an empty car.

3.9 rear diff, with fluid (I think) was 50lbs

the driveline was 19lbs

Big thanks for these numbers! :)

not sure what rear suspension stuff you're talking about?

I'm talking about all the rear suspension stuff that can be taken off.

sounds like youre trying to convert to FWD?

Actually, the other way, from FWD to 4WD, but not a Subaru. I'm currently doing an EJ20T engine swap to my 1986 1.8 4wd Leone (Loyale in US), so from the parts that will be left from that and some extra parts from wreckers, I'm going to put that engine in a Nissan Micra. I've done one Micra with Nissan Sunny's 1.5 engine conversion with Sunny's gearbox, remade engine and gearbox mounts, fuel injection, turbo... + lot's of customising with the engine and accessories, but in a very light FWD car you can't really use that kind of power efficiantly. It burns rubber still with 3rd gear so it isn't very good... So, I measured all the things that I have to make custom to get the Subaru's engine+driveline+suspension fitted to Micra and with "little" work it can be done. I'm going to get another Micra for this and at the beginning I'm going to use that 1.8 carb engine. When I'm sure that the engine, transmission and suspension stuff is working good enough and is secure, I'm going to put 1.8 turbo engine to it. I already have Garrett T25G turbo for that so I'm chasing something like 200+hp from it. Maybe I'll sometime dry to drop that EJ20T also to it, but that's another story...

The reason why I want to know about the weights, is that I want to have some estimation how much it will weight when it's done and therefore I can already assume something about the performance. Stock Micra weights about 1540lbs and if you add a turbo engine and that driveline (off course I'll have to take Micra's engine+gearbox+suspensions off), it might weight something like 1800-2000lbs. Off course, with stripping the interior, seats, dash and lightweight bodyparts it can be anything between 1700-1900lbs or less. That's the reason why I'm asking this.

My dad has a micra,,, WHy the he!! would you want to do that to it... there pos. I mean to each his own.. but why... all the effort?

So many reasons... But firstly, I love K10 Micras and especially their light body and space. I also like Subaru's engines and 4wd systems. And K10 Micras and 80's Subarus are very cheap here, so I don't have to put much money to this. I also enjoy challenges and doing something that no one hasn't probably done yet.

Where do you think that you could get a car with so good performance for just a low cost? Legacy/Liberty weights 2955lbs with stock 200hp EJ20T engine and it accelerates 0-63mph in 6,7s. The EJ20T that I got, is JDM 220hp version and that's stock. With little modifications, I think that 240-260hp can be easy to achieve. So, the engine has about one fourth of more power and the car is about one third lighter. There you can guess how good it will perform, and what could be more embarrassing than a Micra that beats your "sports"car ;)

But if I stay with EA82 turbo, then if I calculate how much power it's needed to have the same power to weight ratio as Legacy/Liberty turbo... So, Micra weights about 1900lbs with EA82T and transmission etc. Let's calculate how much is the power to weight ratio of the Legacy/Liberty:

2955lbs/200hp = 14,775lbs/hp

So Micra needs:

1900lbs/14,775lbs/kg = 128,5956...hp

And here in Europe, stock EA82T produces 136hp...

I think these might help you to understand, why :)