Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help - Broken Part on 1982 SUBARU GLF

A couple days ago, while driving my 82 GLF, I managed to break something having to do with my clutch. There is a "Rubber Grommet" as described by the Haynes Repair Manual that mounts to the firewall through which the clutch cable passes that is now missing. I also found a part of a plastic pack that looks like it may have contained two washers. It now only contained one washer and that was sheared in half.

Without the Grommet and this plastic part, the clutch cable now moves freely, without pressure, through the firewall. Pretty useless as is.

Is anyone familiar with the clutch cable assembly for the GLF? I am not sure if that plastic pack is part of the cable assembly or is a different part altogether? Also would anybody know the part ID for this rubber grommet and where I might find one. I have found a source for the clutch cable.

Thanks for your assist.

I don't think the grommet is your problem - its probably where the cable connects to the pedal box. It has a cast metal peice at the end which gets clamped on - this metal peice likes to break now and then. Check that. If thats broken, you need to replace the clutch cable.

It's not where the cable connects to the pedal, it's where the cable housing is terminated. That cast metal piece keeps the housing stationary relative to the inner part of the clutch cable. When it breaks it prevents the cable assembly from developing the tension required to move the clutch fork when the pedal is depressed. In other words, the housing just moves along with the wire part of the cable and the wire never gets tight. Unless you understand what I am trying to describe you could look down there and nothing would appear to be broken.

It must be pretty common because it has happened to me at least twice.

It's not where the cable connects to the pedal, it's where the cable housing is terminated. That cast metal piece keeps the housing stationary relative to the inner part of the clutch cable. When it breaks it prevents the cable assembly from developing the tension required to move the clutch fork when the pedal is depressed. In other words, the housing just moves along with the wire part of the cable and the wire never gets tight. Unless you understand what I am trying to describe you could look down there and nothing would appear to be broken.

It must be pretty common because it has happened to me at least twice.

Really appreciate your input. That does indeed sound like what is broken. The wire never gets tight although it is connected. Do you know what that piece is called? Is it part of the clutch cable assembly or a separate part altogether?

The grommet is only there to keep the cable from rubbing on the firewall, and is part of the cable, so if it's gone it's replacement IS the cable as they are one part number. At any rate, your problem is at the pedal assembly (likely), or the clutch fork. A friend in OR gave me this write up a while ago:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/clutch.html

Really appreciate your input. That does indeed sound like what is broken. The wire never gets tight although it is connected. Do you know what that piece is called? Is it part of the clutch cable assembly or a separate part altogether?

Part of the clutch cable. You should be able to get one at most parts stores.

Aftermarket cables are bad news. Dealer only, and carry a spare..... 2 if you are offroading. Pay close attention to the routing or you'll get about 200 miles out of the cable before it breaks at a stop light.

Really? How long do dealer ones last?

The grommet is only there to keep the cable from rubbing on the firewall, and is part of the cable, so if it's gone it's replacement IS the cable as they are one part number. At any rate, your problem is at the pedal assembly (likely), or the clutch fork. A friend in OR gave me this write up a while ago:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/clutch.html

:banana: What a fantastic link! Those are some of the best photographed repair images I have ever seen and the explanations are very understandable. If anyone who has been assisting hasn't checked out this link, they should.

It seems clear from all who have advised that the cable assembly is indeed what needs to be replaced and I will be sure to get a couple of OEM's as recommended. Heck, with these pictures, I may even try to do it myself (ok maybe I'll buy 3 just in case !) ;)

Thanks so much to all who have responded. You're a great bunch! I am new to much of this mechanical stuff and thought the GLF would provide me a good opportunity to learn. It looks like it is off to a GREAT start!

Really? How long do dealer ones last?

I've put a few thousand miles on my dealer cable, most of it in-city driving and even offroading a bit in Der VVagon. Before that I broke 2 clutch cables (yes they were adjusted right). Stock subaru clutch cables are far superior. :burnout:

- Erik -

I've put a few thousand miles on my dealer cable, most of it in-city driving and even offroading a bit in Der VVagon. Before that I broke 2 clutch cables (yes they were adjusted right). Stock subaru clutch cables are far superior. :burnout:

- Erik -

Ok, thanks, ill probably go oem next time.

I have put around 40,000kms (probably 3/4 in city, plus i always double clutch) on my aftermarket one, maybe i'm just lucky. I actually cable tied the cable just after the clamp to strighten it up, that may also have contributed to making it last longer.