Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Boosting Options

How are you guys boosting the turbos of the EA82T?, is there other options shy of buying a boost controller, I tryed to place a tube inline to the waste gate with a hole drilled into it to hinder the amount/time of the gate opening but it seems still I have no real boost, thought it was the turbo, but I have 3, replaced it, same deal, she drives fine, no driveablility issues (mabye going from the svx to this is not good for expectations) just not strong at all.

Grab a small spring from a hardware store maybe 2" x1/4-3/8" stretch one end over the arm off the wastegate an the other over the oil feed line to your turbo. Depending on the size and tension of the spring you'll be able to boost anywhere from 9-14 psi. Do some searching and make sure you are aware of the negative side to overboosting.:)

Well, if you don't mind me asking, do you have an intercooler installed? The first step to increasing power on a turbo car is to cool the air charge. An efficient intercooler will increase engine torque as well as HP output, and will also increase the reliability of the engine. After that, you can turn up the boost. I don't mean to sound like I am trying to lecture you about it, but intercooling is very important when it comes to increasing boost. If you need a manual boost controller to up the boost, I have one that I am willing to sell cheap. Just PM me and let me know. Also, get yourself a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator that comes with a gauge. Turn up the fuel pressure(to 42psi) along with the boost and you have the makings for a real fun to drive car, not to mention that the extra fuel will keep it from leaning out toward the top part of the gears. I hope this helps.

Patrick

Well, the manual boost controller that I'm selling is the same kind that I have on my GL-10. I have never had issues with boost spikes or anything like that. I had just bought another one to put on my Starlet Glanza V to up the ante a bit. But since I'm going home and selling the car, I decided to remove it and put it back to stock.

Patrick

The 5th injector has nothing to do with the ECM, it comes on and stays on until boost goes back down. It can simply run through a pressure switch to the ignition. I would start with a good intercooler (ford Thunderbird) or the like and go from there. I have a lot of posts about the 5th injector when you get to that point.

Thanks guys Im working on both things now, much appreciated, I have a ? about the "5th injector" i keep seeing on guys cars, how do you control that signal, when the computers output is set for a set of 4 injectors?

Well, as Boosted said it isn't controlled by the ECU. You have to buy this pressure switch called a "Hobbs switch," if my memory serves me correct. If not, I'm sure someone will provide the correct name for it. Anyhow, the switch is adjustable and turns on the injector at a preset boost level and will shut off automatically when the boost pressure no longer meets the preset level. This keeps the car driveable for day to day driving without it running too rich at low RPMs. It is a great idea and way to increase fueling capacity at higher boost levels and RPMs. The 5th injector is, as you probably know already, is a cold start injector from either a VW or Saab, and just tees into the current fuel line after the fuel filter. Hope that kind of clears it all up.