Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric Choke Clicking

I have an 86 GL Wagon with the 1.8 engine. It has run fine for three weeks (I just bought it). This morning it started and ran for about 100 yards then died. When I turned the key, it would turn but not catch. I tried to jump the clutch, but it still would not catch.

This evening, I opened the hood and when the key is on I hear clicking from the passenger side of the engine. I removed the air cleaner and the two solenoids beneath it both are clicking with the key on.

Now what?

Hopefully you didn't break a timing belt. Since one belt ties to the distributor though the cam you should see if the rotor turns in the distributor while you crank it by removing the cap. If that is ok, then check for spark to the plugs. If the spark is ok then spray some starter fluid into the intake to see if it will try to start then. If you get some response, then there is a fuel problem. Let us know what you find out.

I will check that, but the clicking I hear is with the key on, but the engine not running.

The clicking is probably from the two duty solenoids. Apart from that I don't know much. They didn't click like that with the key turned on before you started having the trouble? From what I know about my carbureted 85, they'll always make at least some sound with the key on, although mine became excessively loud at one point when the car was starting to have trouble.

No. I don't recall the loud clicking without the engine running. It could be the timing belt - the car has 172,000 on it and I don't know the prior service on it. I know the person who had it before had too much oil in it, but that wasn't a biggie. The oil pressure would go to normal when started and then quickly fall back to 0, but the car would run fine.

I'll check the things you mentioned as soon as possible.

I have that noise too and where its coming from is these 2 solenoids in the pics below. One is more in the open right on top of the thermostat, and the 2nd one is under the air intake nozzle. They have to do with vacuum stuff... You can see they are both hooked up with wires and connectors and you can disconnect them and the noise will go away, not sure if your car will run without them or not though. Try it. And they have vacuum hoses going to them.

Solenoids2.jpg

Solenoid.jpg

Solenoids3.jpg

Yes those are the duty solenoids for certain. They're part of the carbureters feedback system. Acting on information from the car's computer sensors, they send extra air to the carbureter to lean the mixture when necessary, or so I understand. They can be tested with a dwell meter if you have one. The Haynes manual explains the duty solenoids in detail (while the Chilton does not, big surprise). I wouldn't disconnect them if I were you. If the duty solenoids are operating stronger than normal, I'd guess that its a symptom of the problem and not the cause.

But there would be no harm in disconnecting them and testing the vehicle if you were really curious.

Cougar,

It appears to be the timing belt. I took the distributor cap off and cranked it. The rotor did not turn. At least it went gently (I think). When it died on Monday, it just died - no horrendous noises (as I seem to remember the last time one of those belts went on me - on a 73 Vega).

Do you know where I can get something which will clue me in on how to replace it/them? As just mentioned, the last time I had to change a belt was in the late 70's. I had one other one replaced for me on an 88 Festiva when it hit 108k just because I started getting nervous.

I have the EA82 engine. It appears there are two belts: one on the right side of the engine and one on the left. It also appears the flywheel will have to be pulled to get to the right one. I looked online today for those belts (had a sinking feeling it was the timing belt(s)) and they do not appear to be too expensive (around $17.00).

If there is a manual that gives good instructions, please direct me to where I can download/purchase it.

Thank you in advance for your help! BTW, the duty solenoids (at least now I know what they are) are still clicking pretty loud, but it is obvious that is not the problem.