Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone have a fix for leaking sunroof?

My '91 Legacy sunroof seems to be leaking. Water will drip at a fast rate in a carwash, dripping down the front passenger side corner onto the seat.

With the rainy season about to start, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should fix this? I really don't want to silicone it shut.

Thanks,

Stephen

The rubber seal on the glass plate isn't supposed to be 100% water tight. The roof "cavity" has four drain pipes to take care of that. All four corners, the pipes run inside the roof pillars.

The most likely cause of the drip is a failing silicone seal underneath the sunroof rail. Open the roof and look down from above, you should see what I mean. Loosen the nuts a bit, squeeze some silicone in underneath the rail..and all should be well.

Try searching the site for "moonroof" and "leak" if you need more info :-)

You could also have a plugged drain hose, if you lower the headliner you can get to the hose itself, or retract the sunroof and look for a small hole in each corner. An air compressor with a blow nozzle with a rubber tip should blow any crud that's accumulated in the lines, if that is the problem.