Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I do realize this has been hashed out a lot here. I don't even know for sure what I have for a motor in my 2001 Suby Forester (sohc or dohc?) although I do know 2.5 L USMB site-wise what might be a good thread discussing the changing of the timing belt for this engine. I'm mechanical, just not too Subbyed yet. Do I need to do all the seals I see talked about?, crank, cam etc etc? I do plan to pull the radiator to give myself some room. Where do I buy all the parts? If from Subaru only I'll probably let them do the job since the parts appear pretty expensive from what I've been able to find so far. Advice highly appreciated.

Hi,

If you are mechanically inclined, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to R&R a timing belt on this car yourself. The only tricky part is getting the crank pulley off and retorquing it properly (not really that difficult).

As for seals, that depends on whether you are seeing any leaks at this point. The crank seal is trivial to replace once the belt's off so I would say that one ought to go. It's also the one most prone to failure. The cam seals add a level of extra work so you'll have to determine if it's worth it.

I have bought my parts from Liberty Subaru but I'll admit I didn't shop around too much. Their mail order prices seemed quite reasonable to me. If I remember right, a belt and oil seals ran me in the neighborhood of $100 or less, total.

Regards,

Adnan

Hi,

If you are mechanically inclined, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to R&R a timing belt on this car yourself. The only tricky part is getting the crank pulley off and retorquing it properly (not really that difficult).

As for seals, that depends on whether you are seeing any leaks at this point. The crank seal is trivial to replace once the belt's off so I would say that one ought to go. It's also the one most prone to failure. The cam seals add a level of extra work so you'll have to determine if it's worth it.

I have bought my parts from Liberty Subaru but I'll admit I didn't shop around too much. Their mail order prices seemed quite reasonable to me. If I remember right, a belt and oil seals ran me in the neighborhood of $100 or less, total.

Regards,

Adnan

Easier way of doing it - I did it yesterday and its a great tip -

you need a 22mm socket, a 1/2 inch ratchet, and a breaker bar, set the socket to undo (lefty loosie righty tighty icon_wink.gif ) and wedge the breaker bar over the ratchet and against the chassis. just hit the starter a couple of times to turn over the engine, but not start it, just turn over once. you can disconnect the ignitor if you dont feel comfortable.

that will loosen the bolt..

Cheers

AP

Be aware that you have an interference type engine in your car (2.5L sohc). There is ZERO margin for error. I am considering replacing the belt myself on my 99 Forester when 220,000 belt change is required. I had the Subaru dealership perform the 110,000 mile belt replacement.