Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reply. I had to put it off for a couple of months. CV shafts had to be replaced and work picked up. I have isolated the code to the device you mentioned. After trying several changes and watching for new codes. It appears the device is stuck open. I've even applied 12vdc to the solenoid post but no change in the amount of vacuum that is able to pass thru it. After all that is said what is the part name or number for the dealership? I could just take the part off the car and show it to them, but I look rather "duh" to them anyway so why remove all doubt.

Thanks,

Charley

I think this sensor is located on the pass side strut tower. A couple of vac hoses are connected to it IIRC.

Maybe they knocked off one of those hoses when replacing the air filter.

If i am correct, this used to be called a manifold absolute pressure sensor. Its a dual purpose sensor. It flips between manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure. It will affect perforamnce espeically in elevation changes. The solenoid you speak of being stuck means the car is not sensing manifold vaccume.

This may be a pricey item at the dealer, but cheaper at a junkyard.

nipper

MAP sensor for ~50 bucks! I've got a '99 OBW and the dealer wanted close to $300! Even about $200 from internet subie parts places. I can't remember what year your car was, but if you can get them for 50 bucks new, why bother hoping that the junk yard one still works?

• 2 weeks later...

The defective sensor was the one in front of the passenger side shock. My 97 MAP is inline with the air filter / intake. Local junk yard $25 + tax and a 10 day guarantee. The used part cleared the code and the car does seem to have more power.

I didn't mean to imply that I could get a MAP sensor for $50, sorry.

Frag & Nipper thanks for the help you sent me in the right direction. The solenoid is in line with the barometric pressure sensor.