Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temperature gauge problems

So the temperature gauge problems continues... Earlier this year I was the victim of a bad fuel incident. Well, at the same time I had a weird "event" with my temperature gauge. I live in the mountains and when I'd start going down the temp gauge would slowly move up to about a 1/4 , go down a bit, go up to half, and by the time I was at the bottom of the mountain, the temp gauge would be at C. (Approximately 14 miles) As soon as I turned the corner and drove a couple of blocks, the temp gauge would move to its normal position of one mark past the middle. This is where it stays for the rest of the time I drive, and I do not have the problem heading up the mountain. Had the temperature sensor replaced, that did not solve the problem. Then had the temp gauge replaced, (which the dealer assured me was the problem). This happens every day, except if I tool around town for 5-10 minutes before heading down. The service writer is bamboozled, said he would talk the mechanics and give me a call back. (That was a couple of days ago.) He said they have never seen this problem before. The gauge has never moved above its one mark past middle location, (never overheated). But then again I am afraid that I wouldn't know if it is, due to the fluctuating temperature gauge. Anyone have a similiar problem or any words of wisdom??? I have spent some bucks on this problem without it getting fixed and I'm worried and frustrated. :banghead:

Usually its the oppsite problem.

Well lets analyze this. feel free to tell me im nuts :)

you said:

I live in the mountains and when I'd start going down the temp gauge would slowly move up to about a 1/4 , go down a bit, go up to half, and by the time I was at the bottom of the mountain, the temp gauge would be at C. (Approximately 14 miles) As soon as I turned the corner and drove a couple of blocks, the temp gauge would move to its normal position of one mark past the middle.

Ok now with a stuck open thermostate, going down hill the car is not doing any work. when you first start off the engine is doing some work, hence the rais to the 1/4 mark. And since the thermostate is stuck open, it is a slow rise.

Going down hill the engine is doing no work, and tons of air rushing through the raditor, lowering the gauge to cold. I am assuming you dont live in or near death valley :)

When you get down the hill the engine now has a load to deal with and the temp gauge rises to its normal position.

How is your gas milage? it may be affected by this. another thing you can check is when you start the car, remove the radiator cap and see if you se any dramatic water flow. When the car is cold there may be some (with a functioning thermostate), but when the car wrms up, then there is a huge change in flow.

Does the car get heat? If it doesnt get heat while going down hill, the thermostate is stuck open.

nipper

Thanks for the hypothesis. No, I don't think you're nuts. "I" just don't want to sound nuts when I'm discussing this with the mechanic. I will check out what the heater is blowing out on the way down today. (BTW, I live in the San Bernardino mountains.) :o