Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket problems 98 Outback 2.5L

Well long story short, I don't know if they went bad on their own or if I helped the situation, but I appear to have a blown head gasket in this 98 2.5L legacy Outback I have had it 1 year and 6 month 130000k. It had 90k on it when purchased. As soon as I drive 10 to 15 miles the temp gauge starts climbing. I have to shut it down and wait 30 min. to cool back down then I can go another 10 to 15 miles. I have heard I high-pitched squeak when going down the road and this is when the temp starts to climb around 10 to 15 miles down the road. Sitting at idle in the drive for two hours will not over heat. Also noticed a little oil in the over flow tank. The shop wants to change the timing belt and water pump and clean the radiator. After readings on hear I think it might be the head gaskets. What do you guys think?

My 1st Subaru I am not real happy!!!

Arthur

Sorry, blown head gaskets are a well documented problem with the 2.5 DOHC engine. Had you researched the 98 Legacy before you purchased it, you would have known all about it. It's a very wide spread problem, and hardly a secret.

Anyway , it's not the end of the world. Other than the head gasket problems, the 98 Legacy seems to be a pretty good car. A shop will typically charge around $1,500 to replace the head gaskets. If you're up to it, the job can be done much cheaper if you supply the labor. The results have been pretty good with the lastest head gasket version. Most of the head gasket replacements stay fixed.

Whatever you do, do something. Overheating the car can mean head replacement and even a cracked block. Good luck.