Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keeping my Suby looking shiny & New :)

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to keep my Suby looking tip top and was wondering about the best way to go about this.

I’ve been trying out a few car waxes & polishes. So far I started off with good old Turtle wax. Great initial shine and beading, but wore off rather quickly, in about six weeks. Next I tried Nu Finish. Went on easily enough, but took some extra elbow grease to get a slight haze off the car. I just applied the Nu Finish so I’m not sure how long it will last. I’m hoping to go through the winter without having to re-apply.

I’ve read a lot about a product called Liquid Glass and would like to try that next. Anyone have any experience with it?

What’s the best way to go about hiding/removing minor scratches in the paint? Same with minor swirl marks (don’t know if I put them there or if the car came with them, I have a bad feeling I put them there :( ) I also have a few not very deep key scratches above the door handle (not my fault!). I know some products fill in the scratches and they come back later, and some products buff the scratches out. I worry about my cars finish with this method, but would love to hear real peoples opinions and experiences with the different products.

Thanks!

Urban Coyote

I'd suggest trying the Zaino line of products. They're super-easy to apply, and two coats of polish will last 6 months - much longer than most on the market. Klasse All-in-ONe & Sealant Glaze is a similar product.

http://www.zainobros.com. The stuff is a little pricey but a little goes a very long way. Get the ZFX polish lock, put on 2 coats of their Z-5 swirl mark remover, follow with 2 coats of the Z-2 and use the Z-6 spray between each. It'll look great. And don't forget the clay bar step after you wash the first time. I'd suggest the Clay Magic clay bar since it's the cheapest on the market and they're all 95% the same product.

Meguiars....

I purchased thier "cleaner" wax a couple of years ago for a car exterior that I had neglected. (It was a baby blue honda accord & I just couldn't get motivated to wax it) We were getting it ready for sale and the finish was dull & in need of some help so I purchased this wax beacuse it said it would remove oxidatation etc.... In any case, about a year before my wife has sideswiped an Expedition's front bumper and it left a long scratch & crease in the rear passenger door and 1/4 panel. When I reached that section, I gave the applicator a little extra elbow grease (you generally apply just as you would any other paste wax) and damn if didn't about 95% of the damage just dissapear, I mean gone except for about a 6" crease....it removed the paint from the other car and left the Honda shiny as could be. I'm really glad that we never spent the $800 on the estimate we got for the repair.

So, to make a short story long, they make good stuff, and I've used the same wax on my new Subaru with no problems, makes the car look great and it lasts around 5-6 months.....

What color is the car? That makes a world of difference...the procedure for washing & waxing a black or dark car would be much more stringent that the Silver Suby that I have...

I too have been asking the same question for my new black Legacy. The forums at Meguiar's website are extremely helpful and full of wonderful information on how to detail a car.

Their home page is at http://meguiars.com/

You can find the link to the forums from there. After you register, try out the Detailing 101 forum for ideas and instructions.

A box full of products arrive tomorrow and I'm off to a weekend of detailing...

mikkl

I too have been asking the same question for my new black Legacy. The forums at Meguiar's website are extremely helpful and full of wonderful information on how to detail a car.

Their home page is at http://meguiars.com/

You can find the link to the forums from there. After you register, try out the Detailing 101 forum for ideas and instructions.

A box full of products arrive tomorrow and I'm off to a weekend of detailing...

mikkl

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a bunch for all the thoughts on the subject! I'm going to see if any of those products are available locally, otherwise I'll be hitting the internet :)

Cheers!

UC

I'd suggest trying the Zaino line of products. They're super-easy to apply, and two coats of polish will last 6 months - much longer than most on the market. Klasse All-in-ONe & Sealant Glaze is a similar product.

www.zainobros.com. The stuff is a little pricey but a little goes a very long way. Get the ZFX polish lock, put on 2 coats of their Z-5 swirl mark remover, follow with 2 coats of the Z-2 and use the Z-6 spray between each. It'll look great. And don't forget the clay bar step after you wash the first time. I'd suggest the Clay Magic clay bar since it's the cheapest on the market and they're all 95% the same product.

I can't agree more, Zaino is an amazing product; forget Meguiar's or any wax-based polish.

I just spent a few hours Meguiar-ing my new Legacy. I think it looks pretty good:

5161P1010031-med.JPG

It took a bit of time but the results speak for themselves. I'll be interested to see how long the finish lasts before I have to do it again.

mikkl

Before WCSS7 I cleaned-up the paint on my 94 Legacy using meguires medium cutting compound, glazing compound, and wax. I use a high-speed buffer with the appropriate foam pads. Here are some before and after shots.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6868&sort=7&cat=722&page=1

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6874&sort=7&cat=722&page=1

Now I'm not an expert detailer, but I have done this enough time to know that you need to use good products to get good results. It also take elbow grease, even with a buffer. Also if you take the plunge into using a buffer, you need to be careful because you can make things worse. Also don't expect the paint to look brand new when your done. Some swirl marks and scratches require wet sanding to get rid of them.

We followed similar approaches.

For this exercise I:

performed a two bucket car wash and dry

clayed the entire surface

polished with Meguiar's Deep Crytal #2

applied two coats of Meguiar's nxt Tech Wax

Since it was a new finish I did not have any scratches that needed working out. If I did, I would have added an elbow-grease heavy application of Deep Crystal #1 prior to the DC #2.

mikkl

We followed similar approaches.

For this exercise I:

performed a two bucket car wash and dry

clayed the entire surface

polished with Meguiar's Deep Crytal #2

applied two coats of Meguiar's nxt Tech Wax

Since it was a new finish I did not have any scratches that needed working out. If I did, I would have added an elbow-grease heavy application of Deep Crystal #1 prior to the DC #2.

mikkl

Wow, fantastic info....Great pictures mikkl and GLCraigGT! That's a heck of a lot of elbow grease you guys put into your cars to make them look amazing, my hat's off to you :)

I've never heard of a 'clay bar' before. What exactly is it? Being new to this whole 'higher level' of car washing, anything that sounds like clay near my cars paint makes me nervous. Wouldn't something like that scratch the hexk out of your paint?

UC

reading all that you all have written,reminds me that maybe i should wash my subie :rolleyes:

haven't given her a shower in like 4-5 months,unless you count all the times it has rained on her.

most of the time i just take the hose to inside the wheel opening(part of the fender just in front of the front doors,that spot that likes to rust out)