Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I remove window crank handle?

I need to remove the manual window crank handles in my 87 GL Wagon. Before I start prying them off, I thought I'd better ask how to do it. So, how do I remove the window crank handles? I didn't see any screw holding them on. Do they just pry off?

Thanks,

Steve

There is a little U shaped clip that holds them on - if you sorta push the door trim in a bit you can see it, easyst way to get it out is to use a small hook made from some stiff wire.

Thanks for the info. Just curious, does the clip come out easily or should I expect hard resistance?

http://www.equalizer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CT749&Category_Code=&Store_Code=2004

This is the tool that will remove it, but as Ross said, it really isn't necessary. The right side of the tool is for removing the clip. Left side is for putting it back on the handle before sliding back over the post for installation.

You can see the clip on the left side of the picture. It is thin metal. We normally go to the rounded side and get a small pick tool (90 degree) and just pull it out. It will come out easy!!

http://www.equalizer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CT749&Category_Code=&Store_Code=2004

This is the tool that will remove it, but as Ross said, it really isn't necessary. The right side of the tool is for removing the clip. Left side is for putting it back on the handle before sliding back over the post for installation.

You can see the clip on the left side of the picture. It is thin metal. We normally go to the rounded side and get a small pick tool (90 degree) and just pull it out. It will come out easy!!

Thanks for the pic.

Now I know that there must be a tool for everything! :)

another way to remove the clip is by using your T shirt, or a piece of rag, you pull the rag up between the door trim and the handle and start up a rocking motion, the rag catches the spring ends and removes it from the handle, cheap and effective.

another way to remove the clip is by using your T shirt, or a piece of rag, you pull the rag up between the door trim and the handle and start up a rocking motion, the rag catches the spring ends and removes it from the handle, cheap and effective.

Redskin, Thanks for the idea.

There's never a loss of creativity at USMB!

Edit: Just tried it and it worked great.