Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbocharger Help Needed

Hi all..

I'm new to this posting stuff as you can probably see. I have a 1984 Subaru..1.8 L ... 2 door... 4WD Turbo. The turbocharger has gone out on it and I am having a lot of problems finding one at a reasonable price or a rebuild kit or someone to rebuild it for me. This car is all original and runs great. Not having it running has been a real pain for me. I have searched all wrecking yards and auto shops for information trying to remedy this problem. I found this information on the turbocharger....

Turbo Spec. VF1

Serial No. RHB5 15674

Parts No. 420637050

Side of the case it says...IHI Turbo

Any Suggestions??? I would appreciate any help on how to get it back up and running and on the road again.

Yes, they are expensive, my one had a new one from a subaru dealer put on just before i bought it, cost the guy NZ$1500! (US$1000ish).

The good news is that you can use the turbo off a later ('85-'89??) model car, with the ea82t engine (as opposed to your ea81t) with only mior modifications. THey should be much easier to find.

you can retrofit an ea82 turbo. you will have to make water cooling from the heater hoses and tweak the oil lines.

you will need the downpipe with the ea82 turbo. the bottom of the turbo will bolt onto ea81

you will have to mix and match the right pcvs.

get the inhtake boot with the turbo you could make that fit also

ea82's will be more plentiful

I found this information on the turbocharger..

Turbo Spec. VF1

Serial No.RHB5 15674

Parts No. 420637050

Side of the case it says...IHI Turbo

How much you asking for the ones you have?

I have 1 or 2 available, and I'm in western Wa(Sumner area).

Thank you for the info... I wasnt sure if they were interchangeable with another model .. good to hear I might be able to go that way.

Yes, they are expensive, my one had a new one from a subaru dealer put on just before i bought it, cost the guy NZ$1500! (US$1000ish).

The good news is that you can use the turbo off a later ('85-'89??) model car, with the ea82t engine (as opposed to your ea81t) with only mior modifications. THey should be much easier to find.

Thanks for the information! I'm glad I found this site as this is the first time I've actually been given some helpful ideas as how to get back on the road again!

you can retrofit an ea82 turbo. you will have to make water cooling from the heater hoses and tweak the oil lines.

you will need the downpipe with the ea82 turbo. the bottom of the turbo will bolt onto ea81

you will have to mix and match the right pcvs.

get the inhtake boot with the turbo you could make that fit also

ea82's will be more plentiful