Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need schooled on a '92 Loyale

Just talked with an elderly gentelman that recently bought the afore mentioned Loyale. I saw it sitting in his driveway on Sunday last, left my name and number. Talked with him (Harry), by phone today, and then stopped by to check the car out.

As stated, it's a '92 Loyale Wagon, 2WD 5-speed, AC, PW, PS, SPFI, little over 92,000 on the clock. Silver w/Blue interior, real nice body on it, very little rust at all. Needs a DS front door, (dented but not bad), but the car lot has one for him. He hasn't drove it more than the 1/2 mile or so to his house from the lot he bought it from. Harry is in his mid 70's, and may or may not do the needed repairs to the car. This is where I'll come in.

I will be his mechanic, but will need abit more insight to this line of 'Ru, I drive the somewhat older ones myself. Not sure as of this writing what the maintenance history is, but do know a few things to check-out and/or change. Tune-up, filters, check T-belts, oil change, gear lube. Just need abit more insight as to other things that may need some attention at this time. I'll have to wait until he gets it plated to do a test drive.

Gave Harry the web addy to this site, hopefully he'll stop in to say Hi, atleast.

you can swap in a map lite from a gl and put speakers in the rear door, the wiring will be there for gl accessories of any sort

spfi as the same with other ea82's 87 and up are the same parts thru 94

check for rusted out rear trailing arms, as the onses i see worst are fwd, rusted apart ant the seams

Hey Miles, you talking the trailing arms themselves here, or the body points where they attach???

Good to know about the parts/year thing.

I haven't given it a full look-over, but it looks to be in real good shape from what I did look at. Body is clean for the most part, slight amount of rust on bottom of front PS door. Appears to have sat for awhile, cause the engine/tranny is covered with that white stuff that aluminum likes to grow. Didn't check tranny lube, but the diff lube looked clean. The engine oil on the other hand definetly needs changed, way dirty and over full by atleast a quart. I did tell Harry that belts and hoses should be changed, and maybe even the T-belts, along with other tune-up related items. Also told him that popping a T-belt is nothing to worry about, engine wise.

Will have to wait until he gets the front DS door to see what color inner panel is on it, but the one on the Wagon needs to be replaced. Something got hot down by the door pocket, melted the plastic and there's a burnmark on the DS seat. Seat I have, door panel me no got, for PW's that is

Loyales are pretty much just a GL with closer-to-DL options (or lack thereof). Some body differences on the rear of wagons (different hatch/glass, different rear quarter window). Most of the options wiring is in place (easy to add power mirrors). If you can do your 88 than the Loyale is no big deal.