Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Potential Suby owner needs help!!

OK, so I am looking at Subies for all of the usual reasons (AWD, decent mileage, reputation as bulletproof). However, after surfing these forums a little, I getting a bit freaked out about Subies, especially the 96-99 Outback 2.5's (which happen to be the ones I can afford). Between the head gasket problems (which I should factor into the price of the purchase according to many posts here), crappy fuel mileage (20mpg sucks, I could've kept my truck), and other issues, I'm wondering what the hell should I be looking for! I still want AWD, good mileage and space for junk, but I won't tolerate massive problems. I'm a custom car builder and just recently sold my rodded 58' Willys Wagon because it was too expensive to drive, now I want a vehicle I can just drive and not worry about, plus get some economy. I've been looking at low mile(around 70,000mi) 96'-99 Legacy's and OBW, and also higher mile (100,00-11500mi) 200-2002 Wagons. Which would be a better bet? Would it be better to get something, regardless of year, that is high miles but has the heads, timing belt, water pump, etc. replaced already? If I buy something with 75000 miles, am I gonna get slapped with a ton of maintenece costs in a year or two (100000 mi).? This place is a great resource, and I value your opinions since you know Subies:) Thanks for any help

but to me the best bet would be about a 96 Legacy wagon with a 2.2. I could not find a decent one when I was looking so I bought a 99 Forester with the phase 2 2.5. They got the phase 2 a year early.

I also switched from a Jeep and went from 15 mpg to 25 mpg. This thing can do a tiny bit better on the highway, but 25 mpg is what I seem to see every time I fill up for my use.

but to me the best bet would be about a 96 Legacy wagon with a 2.2. I could not find a decent one when I was looking so I bought a 99 Forester with the phase 2 2.5. They got the phase 2 a year early.

I also switched from a Jeep and went from 15 mpg to 25 mpg. This thing can do a tiny bit better on the highway, but 25 mpg is what I seem to see every time I fill up for my use.

My dad has a '96 outback legacy with the 2.2 and the manual tranny, and gets about 27mpg average (he drives pretty conservatively). He's had it for 3 years and has about 160k on it now, and hasn't had any major repairs come up yet (other than replacing timing belt as scheduled, and brad pad replacements, all of which he did himself). He is meticulous about preventative maintenance, and bought one with complete maintenance records back to birth.

depends what you want. the 2.2 is a freaking beast, it will run forever properly taken care of. great motor and AWD system. at least drive one to see if you really need that extra 0.3 liters of displacement. i'd keep your eye out for one with as low of miles as possible if you want to keep the car a long time. be advised any 97 or later will need the timing belts checked as they are interference motors (unless it's already known the last time it was changed). sounds like you can do it yourself so no big deal, i just did my 2.2 for the first time and it was cake.

OK, so I am looking at Subies for all of the usual reasons (AWD, decent mileage, reputation as bulletproof). However, after surfing these forums a little, I getting a bit freaked out about Subies, especially the 96-99 Outback 2.5's (which happen to be the ones I can afford). Between the head gasket problems (which I should factor into the price of the purchase according to many posts here), crappy fuel mileage (20mpg sucks, I could've kept my truck), and other issues, I'm wondering what the hell should I be looking for! I still want AWD, good mileage and space for junk, but I won't tolerate massive problems. I'm a custom car builder and just recently sold my rodded 58' Willys Wagon because it was too expensive to drive, now I want a vehicle I can just drive and not worry about, plus get some economy. I've been looking at low mile(around 70,000mi) 96'-99 Legacy's and OBW, and also higher mile (100,00-11500mi) 200-2002 Wagons. Which would be a better bet? Would it be better to get something, regardless of year, that is high miles but has the heads, timing belt, water pump, etc. replaced already? If I buy something with 75000 miles, am I gonna get slapped with a ton of maintenece costs in a year or two (100000 mi).? This place is a great resource, and I value your opinions since you know Subies:) Thanks for any help

HG issues are not as bad as you read on this list, I know several that have over 200k with no issues. I you are not a throttle jockey you can get upper 20's with a outback. I have a 5 spd and get 29-32 highway, my father in law has a 03 auto and he gets 28 highway.

Besides the HG issues that have issues on some cars, these cars are bullet proof, easy to work on, parts are cheap, etc.