Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi folks, looking at '99 Legacy Outback with 53k at Subaru dealer. What are the pros and cons with engine and drivetrain, overall car impressions?

Thanks to this web site ten months ago I bought a '95 Legacy L wagon with 65k. Love the car. Car now has 82k. Seats a little uncomfortable on long rides - a small trade-off for a great car.

Thanks again for your help.

jakl

Some say avoid the DOHC engines, came in 96-99 some models, due to head gasket or head water seal problems.

I think a switch was in 99 back to SOHC for the 2.5

Hi folks, looking at '99 Legacy Outback with 53k at Subaru dealer. What are the pros and cons with engine and drivetrain, overall car impressions?

Thanks to this web site ten months ago I bought a '95 Legacy L wagon with 65k. Love the car. Car now has 82k. Seats a little uncomfortable on long rides - a small trade-off for a great car.

jakl

jakl

I have a 98 outback with the Head gasket problems it is a nightmare. Go with a newer model. 01 or 02

I have a 98 outback with the Head gasket problems it is a nightmare. Go with a newer model. 01 or 02

It's expensive, but once fixed, the engine should be good for another 100K+. You can mitigate the expense by having the timing belt and water pump changed while the engine is apart. Just keep your eye on the coolant temp....don't run the car if you start to have overheating problems. Aluminum engines don't respond well to overheating. You'll want to get a good enough price on the car to allow you to budget for the HG repair, should it fail. My 1998 Forester went 184,000 before HG failure, so you may never see it, depending on how long you keep the car.

I have an '99 OBW. I got it last year with 58k now it has 83k... NO PROBLEMS! the headgasket deal is not required to blow. That said, I've been looking at a (2nd) '96 OBW... thought it had blown the hg but didn't overheat, found it was a breach in the radiator for the trans coolant.... less hassle, less money... this is a GREAT car if mantained (specific care when changing the coolant, that IS where the problem is developed die to a design flaw in bieng able to purge all the air).

AND more importantly, it looks good. Best lines of the the OBW, IMHO.

Later,

Peter