Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice needed on 4cyl vs. 6 cyl. to buy

Hi all,

hopefully a soon-to-be first time subie owner. i'm considering the outback wagon, and found the outback limited 4 cylinder to be in my price range, but would like automatic transmission.

i currently drive a 97 stratus, standard transmission.

some reviews say the 4 cylinder automatic isn't very powerful, but i don't know how to take this.

i understand the 6 cyl will be more powerful, but i am not looking to drive fast or gun it, i just want to be able to go uphill with no problems!!!

any advice- is the 6 cyl worth the extra $ for someone who just wants a great car that gets me around? thanks!

personally, i would say no.i drove them both when my father was looking, and there just was not enough difference.the 4 actually had pretty good jump, and we started off on a hill! the auto has the slap shift option which makes it kinda like a semi-manual which is also fun.i think the 6 is also worse on gas.good luck on your choice,

Jon

personally, i would say no.i drove them both when my father was looking, and there just was not enough difference.the 4 actually had pretty good jump, and we started off on a hill! the auto has the slap shift option which makes it kinda like a semi-manual which is also fun.i think the 6 is also worse on gas.good luck on your choice,

Jon

The 6 is a sweet engine. Timing chain vs belt so your gonna end up cheaper in the long run that way. Not sure if the 3.0 requires premium but I know my 3.3 does which is a consideration. The 4 is a little underpowered but shouldn't have much issue with hills and the like unless you're always overloaded with 4 passangers etc. Did I mention the 6 sounds so much better??? Pricewise I don't know if it is worth the added cost. Any reason why you aren't looking at the Legacy instead of the outback?