Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie with a new (used) Legacy Outback LTD

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to jump in to greet you all. I'm new to this forum, but not new to automotive forums in general.

I just purchased a 1998 Legacy Outback Limited with 136,000mi on it. I've always heard great things about Subarus, so I'm hoping with a little TLC, this one will last a while. I'm picking it up at the end of the week.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on what I should watch out for with this car (and I don't mean for deer on the road or something like that :lol: ).

TIA!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to jump in to greet you all. I'm new to this forum, but not new to automotive forums in general.

I just purchased a 1998 Legacy Outback Limited with 136,000mi on it. I've always heard great things about Subarus, so I'm hoping with a little TLC, this one will last a while. I'm picking it up at the end of the week.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on what I should watch out for with this car (and I don't mean for deer on the road or something like that :lol: ).

TIA!

2.5....keep and eye on the headgasket and timing. my .02

nice solid car, I agree timing belt and engine temp. The first time (if ever) that temp gauge spikes for no good reason have it checked out.

Otherwise welcome and good luck :)

nipper

Well, you can't really "watch" the timing belt.....and if it breaks, you're screwed. If possible, find out when the belt was last replaced, if at all. If you can't find out, get it replaced, along with the water pump. Expensive job, but cheaper than a new engine. Also, as previously stated, keep a close eye on the water temp. If it varies at all, have the cooling system checked out. Many H.G. failures, (including mine), seem to occur shortly after an overheating episode. I had a bad fan relay, and a plugged radiator, and then the H.G. failure.

Also, check the oil often until you're sure of the consumtion rate. A friend recently purchased a poorly maintained 02 Forester that burns a quart in 500 miles.

A well maintained Subie at 136,000 mi should have a lot of life left, but a poorly maintained one is a disaster.

If the car has gone 136k miles without headgasket problems I would expect that it probably won't. If it has already been done, you're good to go. When the headgasket on my 2001 went (at about 47k miles) the only indication that I had was the smell of coolant when I sat at a stopsign. So, if you ever smell coolant, get it checked right away.

I agree about the timing belt. It should have been replaced at 105,000 miles and if it hasn't, it's overdue and should be replaced right away.

If the car has gone 136k miles without headgasket problems I would expect that it probably won't. If it has already been done, you're good to go. When the headgasket on my 2001 went (at about 47k miles) the only indication that I had was the smell of coolant when I sat at a stopsign. So, if you ever smell coolant, get it checked right away.

I agree about the timing belt. It should have been replaced at 105,000 miles and if it hasn't, it's overdue and should be replaced right away.

My H.G. went at 184,000 following a brief overheating episode. The heat guage wasn't pegged but was warmer than normal, and I lost some coolant through the overflow.

If i'm not mistaken, your 2001 has a different H.G. design than my 1998. You would experience an external leak of coolant when your's failed. Mine was an internal leak, i.e., I had coolant in my oil and oil in my coolant. Bottom line is, I wouldn't buy a used first generation 2.5L Subie, unless I knew the head gaskets had been replaced.

At 184,000 miles thats a good run on any head gasket. I have 180k on mine, and if it was to blow tomorrow, i would blame age rather then deisign.

DO a search on any car with an aluminum cylinder head, and you will see head gaskets blowing after 140K. I was told when i had my civic to expect it to go around 140K, and guess what happened, at 141K it went poof.

The HG issue on a used subaru is a but overblown..... but just in case i still have it budgeted for the repair :).

nipper

At 184,000 miles thats a good run on any head gasket. I have 180k on mine, and if it was to blow tomorrow, i would blame age rather then deisign.

DO a search on any car with an aluminum cylinder head, and you will see head gaskets blowing after 140K. I was told when i had my civic to expect it to go around 140K, and guess what happened, at 141K it went poof.

The HG issue on a used subaru is a but overblown..... but just in case i still have it budgeted for the repair :).

nipper

I agree I have had a good run with the Forester, and I also agree that many cars with aluminum engines will eventually have gasket problems. What I am saying is that, knowing the likely problems, I would not buy a Subie with 136K on it unless I was sure the H.G. work had been done, and the timing belt and water pump had been changed. Without that assurance, that car will become a money pit in short order.